Fast food litter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not that I am against it but would council's take action?

They would have to employ people to collect the rubbish and to process the fines etc. Would it be cost effective?

I do a lot of cycling so often see the roadside litter on the roadside. In my rural part of the world it's not fast-food outlets that are the issue. I see a lot of alcohol and energy drink cans all over the place. Often craft beer cans.

Rubbish is a massive issue but I think it's down to people's behaviour and probably up bringing. The worst is the people who go to the beach and leave their **** behind. The last time I was down the rubbish left behind was anything from empty cans to nappies. The same people wonder why local people don't like to see them coming. Unfortunately it spoils it for everyone. As for fast food companies, I believe they should be all working towards reducing packaging and making more of it bio degradable.

I also see a lot of litter from food outlets on the roadside, but most of what I see is within a few hundred yards of the outlet, often teenagers hanging out with their mates, or the post pub stagger home (happier days).

So for a scheme to be just, if would have to apply equally to all customers and not solely be focused on the already overly persecuted motorist. Maybe a code based on the card used to purchase the food could be used, but like others have said, I still doubt anyone could bothered for a foil tray or a burger box.

I think its a great idea some people are scum and deserve to be fined (pictures tweeted from the lakes below) the only down side i can see is what if some scrote decided it would be funny to pull your takeaway box out of the bin and stuff it in the hedge so you get done how would you prove you put it in the bin?

The obvious answer would be take your rubbish home and if everyone did that the place would be a lot cleaner.

1591444260068.png

Where I live we have both problems, along with a hefty dose of fly tipping. By the fast food outlets, big piles of containers and ash tray empty-ings from motorists who use the drive through, eat in the car, then dump the rubbish in the car park, often emptying their ash tray whilst they are at it. Go a bit further afield you find the empty beer cans, nitrous canisters etc typical of moron youth.

As to overly persecuted motorists, lol. Kinda reminds me of overly persecuted white person syndrome, overly persecuted Christian syndrome, and every other persecution myth that gets spouted. :tongue:

As to the solution, there isn't one. It would all "cost too much", local councils can't afford to deal with it, police can't afford to police it, central gorvernment are happy to make laws, not so happy to fund enforcing them though.... I'd suggest folks could pick it up when they see it, but that would be 2 faced as I personally have no intention of picking up other people's rubbish... As to when it's near to fast food outlets, more obvious answer, they employ staff to clean up the car parks outside their outlets of this rubbish... They won't though.

It's more noticeable because local councils aren't sending crews out to clean it up as much, because they can't afford to.

I also see a lot of litter from food outlets on the roadside, but most of what I see is within a few hundred yards of the outlet, often teenagers hanging out with their mates, or the post pub stagger home (happier days).

So for a scheme to be just, if would have to apply equally to all customers and not solely be focused on the already overly persecuted motorist. Maybe a code based on the card used to purchase the food could be used, but like others have said, I still doubt anyone could bothered for a foil tray or a burger box.

I live in Rutland, we don't have a McDonalds (sadly, we're getting one) but we have plenty of McDonalds litter. If it achieved nothing other than shaming the scum that dump it from their cars that would do for me. I'd be more than happy to pick it up and name and shame on social media. There's no reason why the outlets couldn't mark packaging with reg number AND time/date of purchase.

I live in Rutland, we don't have a McDonalds (sadly, we're getting one) but we have plenty of McDonalds litter. If it achieved nothing other than shaming the scum that dump it from their cars that would do for me. I'd be more than happy to pick it up and name and shame on social media. There's no reason why the outlets couldn't mark packaging with reg number AND time/date of purchase.
I suppose you would have to know everyone's number plates to name and shame

I do a lot of mileage (when not furloughed) and unfortunately when I need to get rid of any rubbish there usually isn't a bin around or if there is a bin it's overflowing so have to take it home, people who litter are scum and they won't change.

@Rogermort I played golf yesterday at Greetham Valley Rutland and they have taken all the bins away but hey no litter anywhere (that I could see) so it's a different class/type of person who litters and they don't care. The point I was making in my last post is that the councils have there part to play but are under funded hugely.

I have a KFC and a Mcdogshite near me and they do clear litter but never seem to go beyond 100yds of the restaurant to clear. I live about 3-4 mins walk away and we have to clear the front garden daily.

No matter where you go it's all the same, lazy shites, young louts and down right dirty Barstewards are everywhere. Even lurking behind those lovely hedges, in flower beds, riverbed, you name it and it's there. It's not just motorists but pedestrians as well.
It's all down to people's attitudes.
We have a smoke hut at work which is roughly 3*4 metres with 3 bins and 3 ashtrays and there is more rubbish on the sides and ground and fag butt's on the ground as the lazy arses couldn't be bother to bin it properly. I'd hate to see inside some of their homes and it gets on my nerves... But don't think the registration will work....

Imagine the fun teenagers would have pulling packages out of McDonald's bins and scattering them to get the original purchaser fined.

Redesign the bins then, how the outlets control it is their problem. It’s still a problem though.
What about all the other litter, there are 1000 times more things thrown out than from fast food places. This would be like a drop in the ocean.

You have to start somewhere. why not start with McD, BK, KFC, Costa, Starbucks?
You cannot just target specific businesses with legislation. This would have to a blanket law that covered every business that sells prepared food to go in disposable packaging. Every curry restaurant, every fish and chips shop every small coffee shop etc. Where does it end?

You cannot just target specific businesses with legislation. This would have to a blanket law that covered every business that sells prepared food to go in disposable packaging. Every curry restaurant, every fish and chips shop every small coffee shop etc. Where does it end?
Why can’t you? If this pandemic has shown us anything it’s that you can do exactly that sort of thing. Limit it to drive throughs if you must.

Why can’t you? If this pandemic has shown us anything it’s that you can do exactly that sort of thing. Limit it to drive throughs if you must.
You are still targeting specific businesses. Why should only those with drive thrus be forced to spend hundreds or thousands of pounds to combat something which is not their fault? It's the public that are the problem not the businesses.

Latest posts

Back