Fastferment Help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_Nicol

Reaction score
Hi all

Help needed please

I have a fast ferment and used it on the 02/01 for a white IPA. Cooled wort then added to the fermenter then opened valve. Put in the thermal jacket and left.

Now when do I have to dump the trub. The air lock seesm to have stopped bubbling,

I also need to add hops after 7 days.

So do I dump tonigh and dry hop with bags? As its been 7 days tonight

IMG_6877.jpg

IMG_6876.jpg

Personally, I would bleed off the trub today and add the hops.

But then I would leave everything alone for at least another week to let the hops get in there and to let the yeast tidy up any remaining sugars.

I also wish I could afford a Fast Ferment system! :whistle:

well tahst what i was thinking ta very much thats what ill do tonight

i need to add 40g amarillo and 40g mosiac,

do they have to be in sep bags? ones leaf ones pelletes

It all depends on how you will be emptying the FV.

Before I bought these ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M74BJW3/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

... I used a bit of muslin tied around the bottom of the syphon tube to filter out any hops as I transferred the beer to the Bottling Bucket or the Keg.

Is there a side-valve on the FV?

If so, you can introduce the hops without a hop-bag, remove the sunk hops via the bottom valve and then transfer the middle section to the bottling bucket or keg (using the side-valve) until the floating hops arrive.

Alternatively, you can use a hop-bag and make sure that it doesn't block off the side-valve.

Personally, with the system you have, I would use full hops and a hop-bag rather than pellets because the fine grinding used to make hop pellets can make the hops very difficult to remove.

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit belated but I have just checked out the Fast Ferment site here ...

http://www.fastbrewing.com/products/fastferment

If this is the type that you have then it doesn't seem to accommodate the introduction of extra hops and I can see a load of problems whether using a bag (that will almost certainly block off the bottom valve if it isn't fished out before starting the run-off) or loose hops (that could waste oodles of beer before the brew stream runs clear).

Do the manufacturers recommend anything with regard to Cold Hopping?

I'm suddenly thinking that my old fashioned method isn't all that bad! :whistle:

It all depends on how you will be emptying the FV.

Before I bought these ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M74BJW3/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

... I used a bit of muslin tied around the bottom of the syphon tube to filter out any hops as I transferred the beer to the Bottling Bucket or the Keg.

Is there a side-valve on the FV?

If so, you can introduce the hops without a hop-bag, remove the sunk hops via the bottom valve and then transfer the middle section to the bottling bucket or keg (using the side-valve) until the floating hops arrive.

Alternatively, you can use a hop-bag and make sure that it doesn't block off the side-valve.

Personally, with the system you have, I would use full hops and a hop-bag rather than pellets because the fine grinding used to make hop pellets can make the hops very difficult to remove.

no no side valve

i only have the petelles of mosiac

this is what im using

IMG_6798.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go for the hop bag (with no pellets) and hope that it didn't stop flow from the bottom take-off.

With full hops (and with a bit of luck) if the bag did fall into the off-take it would merely act as a fine filter for the brew! In which case "Win-win!" springs to mind! :thumb:

Come to think of it, if the bag acted as a filter, it would also help filter out the krausen when it arrived at the bottom of the fermenter as well.

Yep! Definitely a bag and full hops for me! :thumb:

I would just rip open the bag and put the hops straight in, over some days it will all end up in the collection ball anyway, as long as that is not full as it was in your first pic. I have only used bags the first couple of brews and now just throw in the loose pellets or leaves and it always settles out, I do however have a tap on my Fastferments that mean I can easily drain above the collection ball. I have 2 FF's and love them.

Back