FastFerment or similar insulated jacket

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

I know a few people have a FastFerment conical f/v but has anyone got the cooling jacket?
I only ferment in standard Ritchies bucket.
https://www.brewbitz.com/collection...ermentation-bucket-lid-grommet-for-an-airlockI'm thinking about getting set for the summer with an insulated bag thing.
https://brouwland.com/en/other/10530-fastferment-insulated-jacket-for-fastferment-30-litre-79g.htmlBefore anyone says anything, I have no room for a dedicated fermenting fridge, that's not an option.
So, are these jacket's just a gimmick or do they actually make a difference? I don't plan on trying to cool anything down below 15c. I only want to try and maintain a reasonable fermentation temperature (18-20c ish) during the summer months. Lost a brew last year during the heatwave. I knew when I started that it wasn't a good idea but I stupidly went ahead anyway.

So, are they just a waste of time or are they good enough to make a difference?

Answers on a postcard to the usual address, or better still reply here. Thanks in advance

Cheers Tom

I was thinking the bottles of frozen water would cause quite a bit of condensation so a coat might just get soggy and not really work. The fastferment jacket thing is waterproof I think?
Thinking outside the bag (box) though, like it

Cheers Tom

Well first off, my experience is that some kind of temperature control for your FV in the summer is well worth the effort; otherwise it can be a bit of a lottery athumb..
I think the jacket + frozen bottles should work so long as you can get the beer down to the target temp first - although you'll probably have to keep changing the bottles quite frequently.
You'll probably also have to stand the whole thing in a drip tray of some kind because you will get a fair bit of condensation on the bottles and the FV.
Might be worth getting one of these temperature sensors with a remote probe, so that you can keep an eye on the temperature of the FV.

If you're feeling flush, then as an alternative to bottles of frozen water you could get one of these (credit to @Skydiver ): 180W Aquarium Water Chiller Heater, 60L Fish Tank Water Cooler System, Refrigeration Compressor for Hydroponics, 10~40℃ : Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies and pump chilled water through tubing wrapped around the FV.

You'll probably also have to stand the whole thing in a drip tray of some kind because you will get a fair bit of condensation on the bottles and the FV.

No argument there. I know they're supposed to be waterproof but the description says nothing about it being watertight

Might be worth getting one of these temperature sensors with a remote probe, so that you can keep an eye on the temperature of the FV.

Got a Hanna probe

https://www.scientificlabs.co.uk/product/HI-14700
It might not be the most up to date model but it seems accurate enough.

Cheers Tom

Ok I use a fast fermenter jacket with 2 2 litre lemonade bottles filled with salted water, which maintains 18 degrees C during summer, I change the bottles every 24 hrs salted water takes longer to defrost. If I need to get to 12 degrees C I use 3 bottles. Woks a treat no condensation issues I wash the jacket periodically.

Happy brewing

Malt extract brewing only

Ok I use a fast fermenter jacket with 2 2 litre lemonade bottles filled with salted water, which maintains 18 degrees C during summer, I change the bottles every 24 hrs salted water takes longer to defrost. If I need to get to 12 degrees C I use 3 bottles. Woks a treat no condensation issues I wash the jacket periodically.

Happy brewing

Malt extract brewing only

Good to hear.

As an extra query, I've been reading up on those peltier things, for example the ferminator. Rather expensive but it seems they're just a peltier fan thing in a posh box (I might be way off the mark there though).
Has anyone done a DIY one?

Cheers Tom

As an extra query, I've been reading up on those peltier things, for example the ferminator. Rather expensive but it seems they're just a peltier fan thing in a posh box (I might be way off the mark there though).
Has anyone done a DIY one?
Yes I’ve played with Peltier devices: they aren’t quite as useful as you might imagine.
The main problem is that to sustain a temperature drop of more than a few degrees across them they get very inefficient: they generate about 9 times as much heat as they do ‘cold’, if you see what I mean. So whilst they’re OK for cooling a small volume (like a mini fridge with room for a couple of cans), if you use them for anything bigger you have a heck of a job to dissipate all the heat that comes off the other side of them.
I did a couple of experiments (see here). They do work, but I gave up on the idea of using them for FV temp control.

Not got my cooling bag yet (obviously) but when it gets pressed into service, how best to monitor the temp of the lovely fermenting beverage? Is it best practice to simply attach the probe bit of my

https://www.scientificlabs.co.uk/product/HI-14700
to the side of the fermenter with a bit of foam/cardboard/whatever between it and the adhesive tape, or are there more suitable solutions available?

Cheers Tom

Hi Tom,

#I use an ink bird taped to the side of my FV, with a heating mat plugged in for winter

Where I ferment I couldn't really use anything that needed mains electricity as the cable would present a trip hazard ☹ Good job I've never had any problems with keeping the brew warm enough in the colder months 🙂

Cheers Tom

Bummer..........

Order placed without issue but had an email saying out of stock and will be back in stock "soon", whatever that means these days?

Cheers Tom

Double bummer.........

Had an email this morning informing me that they're no longer able to get the Fastferment jackets from Belgium. Have requested a refund ☹️
Will have to wait until Rob gets some in stock and I'll order some Brewbrite while I'm there

Cheers Tom

Back