Faulty freezer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_quick

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi Guys/gals

So it looks like my freezer developed a fault. Compressor will switch on for very short period and will go off again. I have checked all cables and all is in good order, no corrosion, no damage.
I didn't have time to investigate more closely. I think either the compressors is faulty or possibly faulty thermostat? I bough it cheap for £20 so probably could replace it, but I really don't like throwing away items I can fix with bit of DIY.
Will try to check the thermostat tomorrow with a multimeter or even bypass it (I got inkbird). But if the compressor is faulty I think I will throw the towel.

Does anyone have any other ideas and maybe had a similar fault?

Thanks

Apart from thermostat, no. Maybe there's a wiring diagram somewhere on it you can use to fault find? Thermostats are easy enough to temporarily bypass to check operation (taking necessary precautions of course).

My best buys have been faulty fridges that I add an STC1000 controller and small heater element to for full brew fridge operation...

Maybe you have lost the refrigerant and there is a “Time v Temperature” race in the logic. i.e. If the temperature doesn’t fall within a specific time (or reach the pre-set low temperature) then the compressor stops.

Loss of refrigerant (usually via a leak in the piping or compressor’s seals) is one of the most common reasons for getting rid of a freezer!

Sorry, but usually repairing a piping leak, replacing the refrigerant or the compressor, is about the most expensive thing that can be done to a freezer!
:hat:

PS to the above!

All is not necessarily lost! This current heat-wave will be over soon and we’ll be heating our Brew Fridges for the next ten months or so!

Personally, if I had the space, I would just buy a small heater and wire it up to an ST 1000, so that I could use the freezer as a Brew Fridge for most of the year.

What controller are you using? You only mention "Inkbird".

And have you removed it from controlling duty yet?

[EDIT: Ah, you said you might try bypassing the thermostat with an Inkbird, not you are bypassing the thermostat! Sorry! ... Carry on.]

Last edited:
Hi Guys/gals

So it looks like my freezer developed a fault. Compressor will switch on for very short period and will go off again. I have checked all cables and all is in good order, no corrosion, no damage.
I didn't have time to investigate more closely. I think either the compressors is faulty or possibly faulty thermostat? I bough it cheap for £20 so probably could replace it, but I really don't like throwing away items I can fix with bit of DIY.
Will try to check the thermostat tomorrow with a multimeter or even bypass it (I got inkbird). But if the compressor is faulty I think I will throw the towel.

Does anyone have any other ideas and maybe had a similar fault?

Thanks
The compressor motor could be sticking. My serving fridge does it now and again. If left to its own devices it'll keep running and stopping every few mins or so. It tries to run but it's jammed so the overload cutout kicks in to stop it, once it's cooled down it tries again and again and again. The cure (passed on by an engineer) was to switch it off at the mains them firmly tap the round body of the compressor, the big black thing at the backi. I use a piece of wood by the way. Doing this un jams the motor so when you switch it back on it runs properly. Till it jams again that is. Mine runs for anything up to 12 months between jams.
You do this at your own risk. I will say that when the engineer told me to do this I looked at him as if he was stupid, he was serious though. It's saved me lashing out on a new fridge.
Good luck

Cheers Tom

Last edited:
If the compressor runs for a few seconds then cuts off it could be one of three things, A, the start capacitor if it has one a tubular thing with a wire coming from one end which is easily replaced, the value is marked on its side in uf that would be the first thing to change. Failing that B, the start relay which plugs into the compressor itself under the plastic cover or C the compressors knackered.
Start capacitors and solid state start relays which are a lot more reliable than the factory fitted mechanical items can all be had off ebay. If its the compressor its all over bar the shouting and not really practical to replace unless your a fridge engineer and you have the right kit.

Cheers, Bob

If it runs, even for a short time, I would say either the over load is faulty, or a valve is not opening which means the pressure builds up too fast, and over loads the motor.

However unlikely to be a cheap cure, the thermostat went in mothers freezer, tried to get a replacement fitted, quoted £60 for first hour, and parts on top, new price was £100, I got a replacement thermostat off the internet, but dials would not fit it, needed to use the STC-1000 to set temperature, getting parts local at reasonable price not possible.

As to heating only, this was my idea with the old fridge/freezer I had, wanted to move brewing into garage, which was colder than kitchen, and thought in winter all I would need to do is heat. But the insulation was too good, even with the garage at 10 degs C, setting off a new brew it would hit 24 - 30 degs C in first two days, just from the heat of fermenting.

I would start the brew off in the freezer compartment, and after around 5 days more to fridge compartment, as after 2 days heat from fermenting much reduced, and even if it did go too warm, it did not seem to spoil after first 5 days, but cooling was needed on first few days.

It was a problem deciding if to leave door open on fridge/freezer before using the compressor to cool, in the kitchen at say 18 degs C during day, 16 degs C at night, a simple heat pad thermostat controlled was OK. But in the garage in winter at 5 deg C needed some insulation, but not too much, and whole idea is walk away and let the thermostat do its job.

Moved house and lost the fridge/freezer, so now use a coat, air lock sticking out of the neck, the central heating boiler is in the garage, which has been converted into a granny flat, so does not cool too much, never seen below 12 degs C, also built into side of hill, keeps cooler in summer, can't start a brew at moment, as too warm, but on average around 6 weeks when too warm to brew, and after first 3 days if temperature goes up, it does not seem to matter so much, it is just the first 3 days which matter.

I got a replacement fridge and fridge/freezer, but they became BBQ fridge/freezers, full of burgers and buns, so still can't brew this time of year.

Thanks guys for all the ideas.
It is not the thermostat, bypassed it and still not good. I will try tapping and check replays with multimeter. Have a funny feeling that compressor is knackered. I bought it from a guy who kept it in the barn - so maybe after years of services it broke.

I have already a brewing fridge, with ahead element in it. So this one most likely will go into a skip.

I have already a brewing fridge, with ahead element in it. So this one most likely will go into a skip.
NOooo!

Please give it to someone with the space and need for a BrewFridge! They can use it in the 10 months per year when the temperature is below that required for fermentation!

Personally, I made do for many months in my garage with a contraption made from some cast-off shelving, an old blanket and a couple of bulb-holders.

I originally “controlled” the temperature by switching 40w and 60w bulbs but moved on to an ITC-1000 and a Dimplex Heater.

I would have given my eye-teeth for an insulated freezer!
:hat:

Just found these photographs of "The Contraption".

Half being used for Carbonation and half being used for Fermentation.

Enjoy!

Contraption 3.jpg

Yes I kept one 'dead' fridge as a carbonation unit only, no cooling, but a 40W heater and controller that keeps it at a constant warm temp. Can fit ~ 100 bottles in it and frees up other fridges for fermentation. Has proved more useful than I thought...

Thanks guys for all the ideas.
It is not the thermostat, bypassed it and still not good. I will try tapping and check replays with multimeter. Have a funny feeling that compressor is knackered. I bought it from a guy who kept it in the barn - so maybe after years of services it broke.

So is it dead? ☹️

Cheers Tom

Latest posts

Back