Favourite Beer Bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slate Miner

Reaction score
In general I'm willing to use any type of beer bottle for my home brew, friends and family save them for me and few from my local pub. :cheers:

Today I managed to pick up half dozen Singha bottles from my local Thai restraunt, a very useful 630ml :thumb:

Anyway it got me thinking.... :whistle: :shock: What bottles to people prefer, and does anyone try to stick to one type for each brew?

Although clear I do like the Newcastle Brown bottles, particularly the logo "The one and only" Of the 'shaped' bottles I've come across, Wychwood and Crabbies look good, Hook Norton is a nice classic bottle , made from new lighter glass which is good for storing., however their labels are difficult to remove. I like the Badger bottles too but have had problems capping these in the past, so thumbs down for them. Don't particularly go for the tall slender bottles eg Timothy Taylor Landlord (love the beer though!) Of course the St.Peters bottles are one of the more unusual. :hmm:

Good question. I like the Bulmers Cider dark brown bottles (1 pint) best, better than the Pear Cider green ones. Also have alot of Shepherd Neame bottles because Lidl sell a batch of 8 for £8. They don't look much and technically not so good cos their clear but then they make storing easier cos they're short and another crate fits on top without wobble - sad really. I've been getting a bit obessive with my collection of bottles, moving the empties around according to size and colour! Must see a therapist for that damned ODC :?

I like Black Sheep, Wadworth, theakstons, Fullers they all have a clasic shape nice and thick and the labels come of easily.

Wychwwood are no good with most cappers and clear are a no no unless that is all you can get.

I also like Budweiser's for strong ales, The shape is good and they are quite thick for a little bottle.

I have quite a few cobra bottles both 330ml and 660ml.
Very strong, dark and cap well.
I also like the bulmers and fullers ones.

garylewis1966 said:
Good question. I like the Bulmers Cider dark brown bottles (1 pint) best [=quote]

Agreed +1

I would say though, I have had very little success with the Hobgoblin bottles, that weird neck always seems to cause problems (although that may be the capper I use :hmm: ).

I know it's probably not right, but I do like to bottle in 2ltr "soft" drinks bottles, work very well....and Mrs doesn't do her nut as much as I "have to" empty the bottle :drink:

I tend to think more about what to avoid. Which at the moment is anything Wynchwood. Lovely bottles but the longer bulge in the neck causes problems for me capping (using a 2 handled capper). After that I try to source brown bottles, but will make do with clear too. Depends what I can get for free or on offer if there's beer inside!

I picked up some Koppaberg bottles. Labels came of really easy and the shape is nice and simple as well. The colour is a brown green mix.

Im collecting Bombardier bottles at the moment, i like the shape and they look good too.

I have been offered as many Newcastle Brown Ale bottles as i can manage but they are clear, so was wondering if they're any good?

I can keep them in the dark, we have some built in cupboards in the loft.

I don't know why but it feels wrong somehow to keep an ale style beer in a clear bottle :lol:

Why doesn't Newcastle Brown Ale go off in their clear bottles?

I like the apple and pear cider bottles from aldi, they are genuine pint bottles and very dark and cap well.

Andyhull said:
I can keep them in the dark, we have some built in cupboards in the loft.

I don't know why but it feels wrong somehow to keep an ale style beer in a clear bottle :lol:

Why doesn't Newcastle Brown Ale go off in their clear bottles?

I think its only bottle conditioned beers that need to be in dark bottles :wha: I assume to do with the yeast, and if its pasteurised or filtered then its not a problem

I like Caledonian Brewery bottles as they're brown, easy to cap and the label comes off with minimal effort!
Also the magners/bulmers bottles are good as are most brown bottles I've gcome across!

After capping 6 Wychwood bottles the other week I will be not getting anymore because they're a pain.
I'll also be steering clear of badger brewery bottles and slowly phasing out my clear collection!

:drink:

Hawks said:
I think its only bottle conditioned beers that need to be in dark bottles :wha: I assume to do with the yeast, and if its pasteurised or filtered then its not a problem

Brown bottles are to block UV light which can cause skunking. It is to do with alpha acids from your hops not the yeast.

I believe at least some commercial brewers use special hop extracts or add something or other to stop it happening. I would guess that is what Scottish and Newcastle.

St Peters Ale use very nice bottles, they also have their name embossed into the glass.. Probably quite expensive but they do really stand out.

Making my first batch of cider ever this week (after being 20 years since I last made wine). Not sorted out bottles yet, but ultimately would like to get nice/neat/matching bottles. Have seen some nice blue ones in America but they don't do UK shiping. Surely there are some more locally!! Or other unusual shapes/colours available to buy?

I go for Bulmer and Magners bottle pulled out the bins from the local pubs. The labels come off the bottles easy with a soak in hot water and best of all they are free :party:

Just need a capper

I've got some 750ml swing-tops that I love. Only problem is that no-where sells them full.... :(
500ml swingtops of Bernards Dark from Tesco is a good route (if they still do them) Lovely dark czech lager and 500ml swingtops too! :cheers:

Back