Favourite can kits?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Youngs American IPA is my fave, and Coopers Brew A IPA (with 2kg of extra fermentables and dry hopped) has been great as well!

Mangrove Jacks American IPA with 1.2kg pure malt enhancer. I started polishing it off after 3 weeks!

Not a can but one of my favourite kits has always been Festival Pride of London Porter and I tend to brew it short to 20l.

Currently really enjoying the Mangrove Jack's pouches brewed with LME as the extra fermentables.
I'll second the Pride of London Porter, it's amazing.

P of L P - my go to autumn /winter brew - Friends actually ask if I have any spare - especially near christmas

P of L P , what's that ?

Mark
It's pride of London porter, festival kit, but i found it way too sweet, you can't go wrong with the cooper's stout with some dark malt 500g and some treacle or molasses sugar, will be a lot nicer drink, imo. The rest of the festival kits are very nice though

Anyone suggest a Barnsley Bitter alike please ? Kit form
I had thought Barnsley Bitter was a defunct beer from years ago, but it appears that it is going strong.
Anyway in here
Barnsley Bitter - back from the past - Doctor Ale
is this
Barnsley Bitter is ale with an alcohol content 3,8% ABV.
It is brewed using Maris Otter malt, caramel Crystal and Pale Chocolate for perfect colour.
It is a single hop beer which means that uses only one hop variety – in this case: UK Challenger.

Its also apparently brewed with the yeast from the original brewery strain.
So like all commercial beers that's quite specific.
I have found that most kits sold to mimic commercial beers never turn out like them, and the few attempts I have brewed using grain or extract against recipes I found on line equally so.

But someone else might have struck lucky with a kit choice for you somewhere.

Hi terrym and thnks for reply

There are in fact 2 Barnsley Bitters on the go. Acorn Brewery and Stancill Breweries both do one and both are very very good but my fav is the Acorn one

Quite a fascinating story I found on Google relating to how there come to be 2 and who did what to who and when

Would like a Can Kit for sure of that !

Cheers againWW

Hi terrym and thnks for reply

There are in fact 2 Barnsley Bitters on the go. Acorn Brewery and Stancill Breweries both do one and both are very very good but my fav is the Acorn one

Quite a fascinating story I found on Google relating to how there come to be 2 and who did what to who and when

Would like a Can Kit for sure of that !

Cheers againWW
Looking through the link I posted it seems to be quite a malt forward beer with medium bitterness. So how about a 2 can Wherry kit split into two and dry hop one half with 25g Challenger, and the other a 25g Challenger hop tea, and then compare the two? And that will give you beers of about 3.8% which matches the BB commercial beer. But if it doesn't work you should still end up with something that is drinkable athumb..

Mangrove Jacks American IPA with 1.2kg pure malt enhancer. I started polishing it off after 3 weeks!

You’d recommend this one? I’m very impressed with the MJ kits and wondered what the American IPA was like - not seen any reviews.

It's really nice.

Hi All, hope you're doing well.
3 weeks and 5 days after brewday and I have struck gold! I couldn't resist having a try once the PET bottles went hard, so placed in the fridge this morning. Lovely! Just like the Loch Lomond Lost in Mosaic, or Goose Island IPA that I've drunk over the last couple of days.
This is brew number 6 now and what I've learned/ proven to myself is that temperature control really is key (I've read all about it, just never been able to achieve it previously). I have been lucky to keep the FV temp around 20 degrees this time. Phew, at last!
. View attachment 24026

But take note...

I did this in March with the same lme addition. OG 1048. Conversely mine took 3 days to really get going, then another 2 weeks to reach 1020. I added hops via a hop tea at this point, made with 1 litre of 77 degrees C water left to cool and poured through a hop bag and sieve. It took another five days until it reached 1010. 20degrees C fairly consistent throughout.
I've found that the two week rule is sound, as recommended by the experienced hands found in this forum.
It really is a lovely pint, especially from a mini keg. athumb..

It's pride of London porter, festival kit, but i found it way too sweet, you can't go wrong with the cooper's stout with some dark malt 500g and some treacle or molasses sugar, will be a lot nicer drink, imo. The rest of the festival kits are very nice though
Wonder if you had a one off - I do not like beers with a sweetish finish and certainly would not put P of L P in that category. I do leave the brew for a min of 3 weeks before bottling so the hops have a couple of weeks to percolate through the beer. I will have to try the Coopers I have read its pretty good.

Just tried Youngs harvest Scottish Heavy. Liking it. Made with 1.5 kg light LME and half kilo of sugar. Simple but hits the spot.

This was the first kit I tried after a 25 yr break from home brewing as I remembered how good it was.
Just done another batch using light spray malt and brew enhancer for comparison after using
just dextrose last time.I agree, it's a bit of a malty classic !
IMG_20200508_185028666_HDR.jpg

The cost of that works out at about the same as many premium kits.:confused.:
I guess what makes premium kits are the extracts and decent fermentables they use, like I used.

I'm enjoying it, I did cock up as I intended to use the light LME in my coopers euro lager, but for reasons beyond me even now I got a rush of blood to the head and added it to the heavy. Still, worked out well.

Latest posts

Back