Favourite dry hop for cheap lager kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Libigage

Landlord.
Reaction score
Currently doing a wilko classic lager but it only has 10g of hallertau, doesn't seem alot. Don't know whether to buy another one and double up with the hops and use something different on the next one or what. I know people say do the kit as is and then change it but I don't see alot of reviews on this kit and most premium kits use more hops. Any thoughts on this guys and girls

Lagers are typically not dry hopped, but that's not to say they never are though.

What are you looking for from your lager? Is there a particular lager you are looking to emulate or are you just looking to experiment?

Lagers are typically not dry hopped, but that's not to say they never are though.

What are you looking for from your lager? Is there a particular lager you are looking to emulate or are you just looking to experiment?
Not looking for anything in particular but I just thought 10g was very small. I did a range MYO AIPA which only had 20g of mixed hops, cenntinal and chinook and loved it but i think I would change the hops next time

Not looking for anything in particular but I just thought 10g was very small. I did a range MYO AIPA which only had 20g of mixed hops, cenntinal and chinook and loved it but i think I would change the hops next time
Loved the bitterness just wanted more citrus /fruit

Loved the bitterness just wanted more citrus /fruit

I think its likley to be more the quantity than the selection. If that kit of yours was a full 20 litre then 20grams isn;t going to have a huge impact. 100 grams of cennential for examplewould really give it more.

I like a good dose of Saaz for aroma. If you do a late addition just before flameout and another during whirlpool it works really well. I think I would worry about biotransformation and interaction with the yeast if it were actually dry hopped.

Wai-iti - it's supposed to have the flavour of lime.

I did a version of this (Amigo Mexican Lager | White Labs) with them. Wai-iti is a descendant of Liberty.

The beer was extremely drinkable and I did get a hint of lime. It's on the rebrew list, but next time I'll double or triple the late hops.

The problem is that these things are so subjective because people's tastes are so different. I did a Coopers Australian Lager and dry hopped with 25gms of Hallertau Hersbrucker and bottled it on 12th November. For me it is over hopped at present and I am hoping it will smooth off a bit in a few weeks time.

I'd pay attention to what Agostino Arioli has to say, since he's the creator of Tipopils which is pretty much the definitive dry-hopped "traditional" lager :

I took my idea from the English beer tradition because they used to dry hop beer in the cask. I saw this in England, and I just thought, ‘Wow, I could do that in my beers because I love hops.’”

His dry-hop variety of choice these days, he says, is mainly Spalter Select.

“To be honest, I’ve tried almost every Noble hop from Germany,” Arioli says. He says he tried dry hopping with Hersbrucker, Spalter, Tettnanger, Hallertauer Mittelfrüh..., “then finally I ended up with Spalter Select. And I’ve been using it at least 15 years now. … It’s a hop that I really appreciate because it keeps a special citrusy, lemon-zest touch. I think it’s a very modern hop—despite that it’s an old one.

I went with what i had left 55g, just put 50g of citra in a pale ale see how it turns out
I have been wondering about using citra with a pale ale but recently had a bottle of Ghost Ship which is citra based and which I really did not enjoy whereas Oakham Citra is a favourite of mine. If you are familiar with both can you tell me which gives the more typical flavour?

Back