Favourite TV comedies - 70/80’s

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m sure the thread I replied to was started by you this morning rather than chillipickle last night, and was just about TV comedies in general, or have I imagined that?

It was Chillies post i added this to it (see post #1) -
Moved from the Ivor the engine thread to keep it on topic. C_T.

As i said above it doesn't have to be from the 70's & 80's but as has already been shown they are the ones we are mostly talking about the modern stuff i find so predictable i don't bother with it.

As much as I love British comedies (Blackadder, The Office, The Inbetweeners...) I think we can be a little unfair on US comedies sometimes. Rick & Morty is wonderful and my all time favorite is Curb Your Enthusiasm. Larry David is my personal hero.
Loved seinfeld and Curb, his MAGA cap sketch is great, sums up his humour perfectly.

Yes Minister & Yes Prime Minister - a parody of the Westminster machine, and scrupulously apolitical.

The Young Ones, Bottom, Filthy Rich & Catflap, The New Statesman. All works of genius.

Porridge & Open All Hours. You contemptuous nerk.

The Fast Show. Smoooooth.

Father Ted. That would be an ecumenical matter.

Father ted and the young ones were excellent.
Porridge stood the test of time.

As much as I love British comedies (Blackadder, The Office, The Inbetweeners...) I think we can be a little unfair on US comedies sometimes. Rick & Morty is wonderful and my all time favorite is Curb Your Enthusiasm. Larry David is my personal hero.

Malcolm in the middle and the Simpsons shine.

Married with children was good too.

I really liked 'The Paul Hogan Show' and 'Soap', then later was 'Rosanne', 'Cheers' and of course the spin off 'Frasier'

Citizen Smith is doing the rounds again that's standing test of time quite well. Although Please Sir is looking very dated especially with the school "kids" look a bit old for kids.

Last edited:
Agree on Bottom,Father Ted,The Young Ones,Fast Show,Men Behaving Badly.
Father Ted was epic...kicking bishop Brennan up the ****...stuck in the largest lingerie section...when Ted held the netting to show he wasn't a fascist...Pat Mustard the milk man..just so funny!

I cry with laughter at that scene everytime, my wife sits there and doesn't even crack a smile, no sense of humour. Father Ted was fantastic, there were some great characters, father paul stone being one of the best.

I cry with laughter at that scene everytime, my wife sits there and doesn't even crack a smile, no sense of humour. Father Ted was fantastic, there were some great characters, father paul stone being one of the best.
Maybe it's a woman thing, my wife hates Father Ted even though it's clearly one of the funniest shows ever written. Oddly she also doesn't find it funny when I say this to her:
OTOHglw.gif

Count Arthur Strong, hate the canned laughter but i can put up with it as he makes me laugh.

Flying lesson - Count Arthur Strong: Series 2 Episode 2 preview - BBC One

Latest posts

Back