February competition - Dark Beers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to everyone who has submitted their beers so far. I currently have 13 for this competition, more than I thought so I'm gonna see if anyone is around to help me judge.

As mentioned judging will take place weekend of the 12th, so if anyone is considering submitting there is still time to get beers in. I'll be doing BJCP style feedback using this sort of sheet, but won't be inspecting bottles and not necessarily judge to guidelines. If it's a nice, well made beer it will do well! (I have seen well made tasty beers marked down because they're not to style in BJCP competitions.)

Really looking forward to trying all these beers.

I'm curious as to how you do the judging. Do you do it over successive days, or have friends help, or just take a sample of each and pour the rest away?

There's no way I could drink my way through 17 beers, even in a week!

I'm curious as to how you do the judging. Do you do it over successive days, or have friends help, or just take a sample of each and pour the rest away?

There's no way I could drink my way through 17 beers, even in a week!
I get people to help. I don't like to waste beer of course so if it's divided up between a few people we each sample a bit. I find 100ml is a good sized sample and then I'll be having 1.7 litres of beer, which isn't outrageous. Previously I have split it over 2 days when I couldn't get enough people to help.

I'm gonna get started real soon, I have 21 to sample so it will probably be over 2 days. I'm really excited. Anyway, here's the dream team:

IMG_20220312_134936.jpg

@Hazelwood Brewery @AJA your beers have turned up today. @gibbo_sd just to confirm I also have yours

I've finally finished judging. It was a bit of a mammoth task, I don't think I've judged that many beers before. It was split over 2 days in the end.

I think every beer had something to offer and the feedback is constructive criticism on what I (and friends) perceived, and I've tried to give helpful hints on how to improve.

It was really good fun. Thanks everyone for sending beers in. I'm aiming to have the winners announced shortly and feedback sent to everyone.

Back