Fed up with King Keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desmnd

Reaction score
Since I bought a King Keg I have had nothing but problems. When the beer goes down about half way (below tap. It's a top tab keg) I get gas with the beer. I Was told that the plastic tube is too long by another home brew supplier. I took 4 inches of it and it did make a slight difference. I have it a 1/4 full with water and the float is floating squarely on the surface. Air is still coming out. I am TOTALLY fed up with these rubbish barrels.

I also have an issue with the float. At hi and low levels it sits on an angle. This should not happen.

Why not talk to your supplier or King Keg? If it's not fit for purpose then you be be getting something back provided you have only had it for weeks or a few months, even a total refund.

It sounds to me that your tube is pushed too far into the float assembly and is poking above the beer line. Pull it out, put in some hot water for a minute to soften it, then re-insert it but only just protruding into the float.

Mine floats at an angle, it should work OK I drilled 4 extra holes in the side of the float to help beer flow.

They can be a pain but worth persevering with.

No i think it is a design fault. Check it out. There is a white plastic insert behind the tap with a ridiculously small washer. When you open the valve, air gets past this through the tap. When the level of the beer is above the tap: no problem.

Don't ask me why but it has to be the plastic tube, the fitting of the plastic tube to the plastic insert or the very thin tuber washer. Why does the problem only happen when the level of the beer goes below the tap???

The float is on the surface and no problem when beer level above tap.

Shirlock Homes once said…

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. The barrel (yes, it is a keg really) holds its pressure over night. This rule out the 4-inch top cap and the outer extremities of the tap. I say the tap because if there were to be a problem with the tap’s outer washer and the outer parts of the tap including the nut then it would lose pressure if it was only partially full.

This leaves us with the inner workings of the barrel. I have used different tubes and floats. One from an old barrel doesn’t float well and lies on the bottom, so we can rule out the float issue. I have used different tubes including one known to be good so that rules out the tubes.

Air is only heard when the valve is open suggesting that the air is coming from within the tap not outside of it. This leaves the inner insert and the ridiculously thin washer.

sherlock Holmes would deduce that this is the problem.

I have had a replacement float system and I have noticed the very thin rubber washer that is on the end of the white bung. The other one was not sitting well on the white bung. I have asked home brew on line and it looks like you have to replace the entire float system. You can't get replacement washers. This is daft as it is a very thin vulnerable rubber ring.

There is a very fragile rubber ring on the end of the white bung. This wears out and I can't find replacements. Do I rely have to get a complete assembly just for a rubber 'O' ring.

Hi!
No comfort for you, I'm afraid, but I ditched my KK and moved to refurbished Cornies, which are about the same price.
The Fermentasaurus float system looks miles better.

Latest posts

Back