Feedback on Tate and Lyle's syrup recipe, please.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I won't go off-topic too much but

When there's an overseas game, I watch and try to figure out how many people actually understand what's going on. It's not a given here in the US that people get the game. Probably more don't than do, nothing scientific. It's kind of complicated if one isn't used to it, but from the crowd reactions when I watch an overseas game, it seems many do. They generally do over-clap at PATs (point after touchdown) which I think is cool since it's only worth one point.
Regarding the name? Maybe no one could think of a better one? Stole it from you folks? It definitely isn't foot-oriented but too late to change now to an accurate description, whatever that may be.
It's a little presumptuous to call it "World Series" but the name loses meaning over time and only means what it does. Even as a kid, I thought it was a bit silly. The least we could do, which would be awesome, is to have all countries that wish to, compete. Japan has skill so I wouldn't rule them out and some other countries could win just as easily as not.
MLB (major league baseball) would need to cut the way-too-long 162 game schedule down to a manageable number so the tournament could be played in warm weather.
Well, now that you've let the air out of my sports balloon I hope you have a good time watching a football match!
Cheers

You'd be surprised how many people do actually understand the rules of American football. Here in the UK it's been popular for at least 20 years. I remember the games/highlights being shown on TV in the 90's. When we have the internation series/games at Wembley/Twickenham/etc their always sold out as it's very easy for European fans to pop over to London to watch the games (and do some sight seeing too)

You'd be surprised how many people do actually understand the rules of American football. Here in the UK it's been popular for at least 20 years. I remember the games/highlights being shown on TV in the 90's. When we have the internation series/games at Wembley/Twickenham/etc their always sold out as it's very easy for European fans to pop over to London to watch the games (and do some sight seeing too)
That's very nice. If I'm not mistaken, the long game is to get NFL teams established in the UK or something like that.
So, I get a question now regarding English football: how did it become okay for a grown man to fall down and writhe like he's been shot when sometimes it's clearly a very minor touch?
American basketball players are doing it more and more and it's embarrassing to watch. Either he fouled you and the referee is going to call it or he's not. If I were a basketball referee, I'd call a foul for unsportsmanlike conduct.
Hockey players here aren't known for it and they can get some pretty wicked hits, moving fast like they do on skates.

Not wanting to brag about it, but I've got NFL GamePass.

This means that I can watch 99% of the games "live" and all of the games either "full game replay", condensed "All that matters" or "just the top plays". There's also another one called "All 22 - Angle of every play" that I've never watched.

It's not cheap at +/-£129 a year but I've had it for over five years now and think it's an excellent service. The only problem is that quite a few games don't start until very late in the day. e.g. Week One of the regular season, the LA Rams v. Oakland Raiders game starts at 3.20am UK time on Tuesday, 11th September!

That's one that I won't be watching live! :laugh8:

I made this syrup using the recipe below (from the Internet) and got syrup. It was good, I guess, but I have nothing to compare it to since I'm only familiar with actual maple syrup and fake maple syrup. I have no idea if it duplicates Tate and Lyle's which is what the recipe calls for.
Does anyone have experience with making a really close version, is this one fine or should I just pay the extra cash and buy the authentic product?
I'm making, for the second time, Gale's Prize Old Ale clone.
Thank you for your insight.

"Vickys Homemade Golden Syrup UK (like Tate & Lyles)
Ingredients
4 servings
200 grams white sugar (1 cup)
50 ml water (3 tbsp + 1 tsp)
1000 grams white sugar (5 cups)
600 ml boiling water (2.5 cups)
2 thick slices of lemon

Method
50 mins
Pour the 1st lot of sugar and water into a large pan. Let the sugar caramelize on a medium heat until it's a gorgeous dark golden colour
Add the 2nd lot of sugar, the boiling water and the lemon and boil on low for 40-45 minutes until thick, don't stir
At this stage don't be tempted to boil longer, the syrup will always look thin when hot but once it cools it will thicken. After cooling if you do think it's not thick enough, just put it back in the pan and boil again for another 5-10 minutes"

This looks spot on the same as I use for making Golden Syrup. I get better results by adding the acid from the lemon early in the process. This stops any crystallisation before colouring takes place.

I quite enjoy doing this and a bit longer on the caramelisation makes for a dark syrup to add to Belgian beers in lieu of Candi Sugar. Sorry to drift back on-topic for a change.

This looks spot on the same as I use for making Golden Syrup. I get better results by adding the acid from the lemon early in the process. This stops any crystallisation before colouring takes place.

I quite enjoy doing this and a bit longer on the caramelisation makes for a dark syrup to add to Belgian beers in lieu of Candi Sugar. Sorry to drift back on-topic for a change.
Ha-Ha--back on topic! That's great. I've gotten some good ideas. Thanks.

As you are in Detroit, it looks as if you may be in for a hard winter; especially if you are a Lions fan!
Surely, there's no hope for any team that gets stuffed by the Browns? :laugh8:
Detroit opener starting at midnight your time. Not on regular TV. They are favored which was surprising.
Sprung for Sling TV for a few months. University of Michigan football is the main reason since it's not usually on over-the-air.

It's too bad I can't legitimately discuss soccer (football).

It's too bad I can't legitimately discuss soccer (football).

It's your Thread so I'm sure that a bit of deviation will be allowed! athumb..

I watched the first three quarters of every grisly minute of last nights Lions game! Sorry! clapa

I have two mates whose Alma Mater is Detroit University. Neither of them do brewing or support the Lions ...

... but one of them supports The Texans and the UoM football team.

It's nice to see another country loves the "tribalism" that we normally reserve for soccer! (i.e. real "football") asad.

It's your Thread so I'm sure that a bit of deviation will be allowed! athumb..

I watched the first three quarters of every grisly minute of last nights Lions game! Sorry! clapa

I have two mates whose Alma Mater is Detroit University. Neither of them do brewing or support the Lions ...

... but one of them supports The Texans and the UoM football team.

It's nice to see another country loves the "tribalism" that we normally reserve for soccer! (i.e. real "football") asad.
It was brutal. I hope it was an anomaly. I never got around to watching the fourth quarter either. It's difficult to tell what lies behind the total meltdown.
I can't discuss "real" football because I know so little about it, the teams or anything. I was never exposed to it except for a little bit during gym class.
I think it's more likely that people will jump ship on their pro team if they move but not college. I have no profound allegiance. Michigan/Michigan State is a big deal. I like Michigan and my wife attended MSU. No arguments though; she's a good sport to a fault.

Latest posts

Back