Feeling Hoppy

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy O'Leary

Reaction score
2nd attempt at brewing. 1st was a woodfordes wherry, tastes ok but a bit flat. I didn't have a hydrometer or thermometer at the time so cannot really say what went wrong, other than I think I should have left fermenting for longer as still bubbling when transferred to bottles. Coincidentally, by chance over Xmas, meet up with some people and managed to try a bottle that they had made of Wherry and was really impressed, tasted very nice. Mine is darker and flatter unfortunately.

Anyways, on wards and upwards, so I purchased Feeling Hoppy, mixed and left in fermenter yesterday, added 1 Kg of Wilko brewing sugar and temperature seems at a stable 20 degrees. I think my starting Hydrometer reading is 1040, please see photo and if someone could correct or verify my reading I would be grateful. So instructions say to add hops at day 4, is this correct? Mix definitely doesn't seem as bubbly as wherry, have I done something wrong? I have a foam on top and definitely creating some kind of air/gas, but doesn't seem as quick to bubble.

Once again thanks in advance for your assistance.

Attachments

• Feeling Hoppy.jpg
    Feeling Hoppy.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 178
You've done nothing wrong. Yep looks to be 1040 if that's where it settled.
Hops...what hops have you got? I'd add them on week two of fermentation...when it's finished.
In the meantime put the lid on and leave it alone until two weeks is up. No you can't keep peeping at it!

Thanks for the response. Amarillo Hops pellets 10g comes with tin of Feeling Hoppy.

Silly question, do you mean instead of bottling add the hops in a muslin bag in a barrel with a tap of ready to drink, if so I don't have one, was going to go to bottles. Therefore, at which stage should I add bag before bottling? hope this makes sense.

i would add the hops when it says to. different things happen to the flavour depending on when you add them, so i imagine the recipe calls for them to be added when there is still some active fermentation happening, known as biotransformation dry hop, which develops certain thiol flavours that give a more rounded juicy flavour. also of benefit is that there will still be some co2 being produced which will protect the hop flavours from oxidation which happens quickly with hop forward styles.
its probably a good idea to go with the bag, save you from getting too much hop in the bottles

Gotcha, thanks, again. At what point prior to bottling would you suggest I add Hops, a day before bottling?

i would add the hops when it says to. different things happen to the flavour depending on when you add them, so i imagine the recipe calls for them to be added when there is still some active fermentation happening, known as biotransformation dry hop, which develops certain thiol flavours that give a more rounded juicy flavour. also of benefit is that there will still be some co2 being produced which will protect the hop flavours from oxidation which happens quickly with hop forward styles.
its probably a good idea to go with the bag, save you from getting too much hop in the bottles
The pack says to add hops on day 4

Added the hops, still plenty of bubbling in my whatever you call it bubble level thingy (it's actually quite soothing going to sleep with the bubbling in the background, fv is currently in the bedroom).

So, just bottled, couldn't wait any longer, batch was fermenting for 12 days. Reading on my hydrometer 1010, have I peaked too soon? I bottled as hasn't been bubbling for a few days now. Unfortunately took reading after bottling. Then I made another cock up of adding 1 teaspoon of brewing sugar per bottle instead of half a teaspoon per pint as per instructions. I made this error as was adding as per my last batch instructions (woodfordes Wherry my first ever attempt at home brew). Still wet behind the ears concerning brewing. Is this going to balls up the beer or will it turn out drinkable? Smelt bloody lovely as I was bottling mind.

Andy, I would advise that you put your bottles somewhere safe. Are they glass bottles? 1 teaspoon of sugar per bottle - on top of a brew that may not have fully finished the primary fermentation - could lead to bottle bombs. I.e, the pressure build up could cause the bottles to explode, so put them in a reasonably warm room (20 degrees), but put them on an old towel, with another on top of them.

The rule of thumb for brewing is 2 weeks (14 days) for primary fermentation. You have just done 11 days by my calculation. then another 2 weeks secondary in the bottles in a warm place for carbonation. then finally 2 weeks in a cool place for conditioning (clearing). So 6 weeks in total.
I know it's a balls-ache as you want to be enjoying your beer ASAP, but your patience will be rewarded. Also now you've got a fermentation vessel (FV) free....you can start your next one athumb..

...BTW....My mrs bought me the 'feeling hoppy' kit for Christmas, so I will be getting that on the go next week.

Andy, I would advise that you put your bottles somewhere safe. Are they glass bottles? 1 teaspoon of sugar per bottle - on top of a brew that may not have fully finished the primary fermentation - could lead to bottle bombs. I.e, the pressure build up could cause the bottles to explode, so put them in a reasonably warm room (20 degrees), but put them on an old towel, with another on top of them.

The rule of thumb for brewing is 2 weeks (14 days) for primary fermentation. You have just done 11 days by my calculation. then another 2 weeks secondary in the bottles in a warm place for carbonation. then finally 2 weeks in a cool place for conditioning (clearing). So 6 weeks in total.
I know it's a balls-ache as you want to be enjoying your beer ASAP, but your patience will be rewarded. Also now you've got a fermentation vessel (FV) free....you can start your next one athumb..
Doh, a mixture of glass and plastic bottles, the missus will go spare if bottles start exploding, currently dotted about the house. Ha, no free FV, I have already added Wilkos Light Keeper. I intend to be a master brewer by the end of the year so getting in as many as possible, that's if I don't blow up the house first.

...BTW....My mrs bought me the 'feeling hoppy' kit for Christmas, so I will be getting that on the go next week.
It smelt amazing, when I was bottling up, if the taste is as good as the smell should be a cracker.

Top man Andy, I like your style, I'm brewing around the house as well! You could always keep the bulk of glass bottles in a cool zone and let the plastic and just a couple of glass bottles carb first to see if anything pops.?

Top man Andy, I like your style, I'm brewing around the house as well! You could always keep the bulk of glass bottles in a cool zone and let the plastic and just a couple of glass bottles carb first to see if anything pops.?
So far, plastic bottles feel fine, feel soft enough for me to squeeze, but I realise the carbonation hasn't really got going yet. I'm going to monitor each day, and may just follow your suggestion depending on outcome. Thanks.

Back