Fellow Sodastream Refillers.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeH

Insert Witty Comment Here
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is anybody having difficulty in refilling some bottles. Do some have anti fill devices on them?

I have 2 bottles that will not refill, but the hold pressure OK.

The bottles were frozen and the donor bottle inverted.

How are you refilling them? There is a technique were you remove the top and fill the canister with frozen co2 pellets.

Is anybody having difficulty in refilling some bottles. Do some have anti fill devices on them?

I believe some do have anti fill protection.
I've found that if you only crack the valve and start filling very slowly it works. Then when the bottle is half full or so you can open the valve and fill quicker.

I have found the newer bottles take a bit of care. The antifill pin will kick in and close if you try too fast.
I invert my donor cylinder and lay the one I am filling down horizontal on a digital scale. Then open the filling valve very slowly so you can just see the weight going up in grams. The fill rate is probably no more than 1 gram every 3 seconds. This way I can get about 400 grams in a fill, max capacity is 425 grams.
I keep my empties overnight in the deep freeze and handle using gloves after sticking my hand to one of them 😁
Hope this helps.
Cheers Jon

Last edited:
This is my refill system which allows for precise input into the empty tank.
Screenshot_20210111-203124.png

Slightly off topic, but anyone else have trouble finding a decent sealing washer that works on a kegland mk4 regulator that has the sodastream adapter fitted.
I am seriously peed off with mine.
The regulator is great the adapter that allows you to connect the sodastream bottle is useless.

Slightly off topic, but anyone else have trouble finding a decent sealing washer that works on a kegland mk4 regulator that has the sodastream adapter fitted.
I am seriously peed off with mine.
The regulator is great the adapter that allows you to connect the sodastream bottle is useless.
Yup...I had the same problem...I think I may have overtightened it a couple of times, and squashed it so it badly I couldn't get a seal with a new bottle.
I replaced it with one from a shower pipe! Works a treat. Maybe find one at a hardware store. It's quite a hard plastic, but seals very well.
HTH!

I removed the one-way valves on my cylinders and replaced them with these to make refilling easier: Replacement SodaStream Valve

There are cheaper versions available on Aliexpress but I figured buying from a UK supplier would be a safer option, given the high pressures involved. They're probably the same, but I didn't want to take the risk.

Hi all,
I got very interested in the dry ice option. Having a quick search I found this. 6kg for £33.33 (next delivery included). Some people quoted a 2kg per day sublimation loss, so I assume I would get at least a half of the orders amount when delivered. That translates to 7 soda stream cylinder or just below £5 per cylinder refill. I think it's a way better than the exchange deals I've seen. I just don't have 7 empty cylinders.
I'm wondering if anyone on the forum has tried that and how did it work?

Hi all,
I got very interested in the dry ice option. Having a quick search I found this. 6kg for £33.33 (next delivery included). Some people quoted a 2kg per day sublimation loss, so I assume I would get at least a half of the orders amount when delivered. That translates to 7 soda stream cylinder or just below £5 per cylinder refill. I think it's a way better than the exchange deals I've seen. I just don't have 7 empty cylinders.
I'm wondering if anyone on the forum has tried that and how did it work?
I imagine it's something that's really only useful if you can get 500g at a time. Or have a serious amount of canisters. My supplier has it on his website but doesn't have a price or quantity showing so I guess he just quotes you a price for however much you want.

Back