Fermentasaurus Gen 3 issue

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewnaldo

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just put my first batch into my gen 3. I have found though that the valve on the long spindle that comes out through the lid keeps on dropping down which closes off the collection bottle. I have had to jam it in the raised position.

I am also fairly unconvinced that the runner joint that seals between the lid and said spindle is going to hold pressure.

Any users encountered this?

Watching with interest as I was considering upgrading my gen. 1 to the gen. 3 via the upgrade kit. It’s an interesting design but I have not seen that much real world feedback on it.
I have an All Rounder on the way in the meantime, as I hadn’t seen any reviews on the gen. 3 that I would trust and the upgrade kit seems to be vapourware at the moment too, certainly within Europe anyway.

Just as a wee update on this, fermentation is very active. I have my FS connected to a 20 litre fermenter king junior, and the spunding valve is on that set at 15psi. We are 2 days in and the pressure is at 11 psi. I dont think there are any leaks, think I would hear them at that pressure. Not big ones anyway. I guess it's a lot of headspace combined so might not actually get up as far as 15psi, but my goals of 02 freeing the keg and the beer being carbed should be met.

Happy how it's going so far but still a bit annoyed about that valve dropping down.

20201106_133029.jpg

Yeah... So evidently active fermentation has stopped, which is pretty rapid, but all the pressure has gone. So a gas bulb and some leak detection work it is for me. I am positive it will be getting up past that spindle though. It has to be the top since the bottom joins are all submerged. The lid is rock solid I'd be amazed if that's leaking. That leaves the lid of the keg, the duotight fittings or IMO the obvious weak point. Once I know for sure I will email the maker and see if they have any ideas.

Yeah... So evidently active fermentation has stopped, which is pretty rapid, but all the pressure has gone. So a gas bulb and some leak detection work it is for me. I am positive it will be getting up past that spindle though. It has to be the top since the bottom joins are all submerged. The lid is rock solid I'd be amazed if that's leaking. That leaves the lid of the keg, the duotight fittings or IMO the obvious weak point. Once I know for sure I will email the maker and see if they have any ideas.
I would be checking the gas and liquid posts, they are only put into the kit and not checked that the 'O' rings are seated. I have six snub nose and all the posts I have had to seat the 'O' rings.

I would be checking the gas and liquid posts, they are only put into the kit and not checked that the 'O' rings are seated. I have six snub nose and all the posts I have had to seat the 'O' rings.

The O rings on the inside of the post where the spring is, or on the outside? I will check everything anyway but the posts looked ok to me. It's going to be a pretty small leak certainly as it was audible at 12 psi. Next time though, I will reduce the volume and available leak path by spunding from the FV rather than being a smarter and purging a keg at the same time.....

The O rings on the inside of the post where the spring is, or on the outside? I will check everything anyway but the posts looked ok to me. It's going to be a pretty small leak certainly as it was audible at 12 psi. Next time though, I will reduce the volume and available leak path by spunding from the FV rather than being a smarter and purging a keg at the same time.....
On the inside

On the inside
Ok. They were definitely there, but whether they were sat flush I couldnt hand on hear say so I will strip them and check that. It's hard to know as you kind of have to set it straight then pack it all into the post and hope it stays true.

Cheers for that.

One last question hopefully.... Any suggestions for leak detection? Soapy bubble method or try to dunk the whole thing into water bike tyre style?

Soap and water, or if you have a spray bottle of Starsan give it a good shake and use that.
Well.... I disconnected the keg, so theres no saying there wasnt more leak paths, but with 5 psi in the FV, there was some bubbling from the PRV. It's coming up through the pin. I will strip this down, such as you can after the FV. I did pull the pin and rotate it 180 degrees which maybe has seated it a bit better. Wel see what pressure remains tomorrow. Hopefully problem identified. And a cheap part if needs be.

Latest posts

Back