Fermentation Airlock Overflow

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake Michael

Reaction score
I woke up this morning and just before I was leaving for work I checked my beer I brewed on Saturday.

upload_2019-7-2_9-0-34.jpeg

As I rushing for work I changed my frozen bottles over and used some kitchen towel to wipe the overflow from the lid but I didn’t have time to change the airlock so I just left it alone.

Then on my commute to work I realised that I didn’t spray any StarSan on the lid or over the airlock.

Will this be okay or is the beer at risk of infection? I’m hoping by now alcohol is present so that should help if any bacteria is around?

Anyone with experience of leaving an airlock overflowed would be greatly appreciated.

I'm disappointed! I expected at least half an airing-cupboard full of ruined clothes!

I can recommend Chippie's "Blow-Off" system, just make sure that you use a big enough container to catch anything!

I'm disappointed! I expected at least half an airing-cupboard full of ruined clothes!

I can recommend Chippie's "Blow-Off" system, just make sure that you use a big enough container to catch anything!

Thank god that wasn’t the case, the missus would put a stop to the home brewing before I’ve even really begun

If she tries any of that nonesense burn her shoes.
My wheat beer is refusing to use the tube and has popped the lid instead.. probably as the tube is full of goo.

Spot on Dutto the picture in the guide is a wine kit so only needs a small bottle having seen how messy beer can get I would use something much bigger (you only need to cover the end of the tube so don't need to half fill the container whatever size)

Thanks for the help guys! Think I’ll refrain from burning her shoes :laugh8: at the end of August she’s letting me turn the study into a brew room so gotta be on my best behaviour

Last edited:
Nah, it still looks like it's closing the exit, so I wouldn't worry. How big is the brew and how big is the bucket by the way? A headspace of 25% should be comfortable. Blow-off tubes are for people that use too small fermenters, get a bigger bucket, you gonna need it anyway....

Hi Jake.
All's well.
The worst thing that can happen is that if you've got a really tight fitting lid, your fermenter could explode. About a million to one against!
Take the airlock out and stick a bit of kitchen towel in the hole. Crack the lid open a bit.
Nothing can get in to spoil your beer because the pressure inside is greater than that on the outside.
When it calms down a bit and the yeast head sinks, then put an airlock in to detect the rate of fermentation.
Blow-off tubes, my arsse.
Well quite literally, really.

Nah, it still looks like it's closing the exit, so I wouldn't worry. How big is the brew and how big is the bucket by the way? A headspace of 25% should be comfortable. Blow-off tubes are for people that use too small fermenters, get a bigger bucket, you gonna need it anyway....

It’s a 5 gallon bucket but I ended up with about 6 gallons of wort so it is overfilled. I had read about leaving about 25% head space but as this is only my 3rd brew I stupidly forgot about it and just pitched the yeast and put the airlock on without thinking about it.

Now I’ve made the mistake myself I won’t make it again... hopefully

Back