Fermentation and pressure barrels

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Arcs

Landlord.
Reaction score
So, recently I tried an experiment of mine to see if I could capture the Co2 from a fermentation to a pb and hopefully find some reasonable results. So on day five of the fermentation of an extract beer. I dropped the contents of the fv into the pb. I can't say that it was overwhelmingly positive. So the question I ask is, how early can I put an extract beer while fermenting into a pb? And would an AG brew behave in much the same matter. I am in good mind to do it at day four. Thoughts please =)

crowcrow

Landlord.
Reaction score
I now ferment my beers straight in a corny, and move into a serving corny after a cold crash. Due to pressure and higher temps I find many beers finish fermentation in around a week.

Arcs

Landlord.
Reaction score
Well it seems to me about day 4 of fermentation with 100g of cane sugar is the sweet spot for me. At least with extract beers. I get a real nice creamy long lasting head on my beer that isn't overly carbonated. Humdinger of a pint of beer. Will do a proper brew day tomorrrow and see if I can achieve the same results with grains. Although, I have heard in the case of corny kegs they need like a temp of 4c to be able to take the carbonation process into account with just sugar. Not sure how true that is...

Arcs

Landlord.
Reaction score
I now ferment my beers straight in a corny, and move into a serving corny after a cold crash. Due to pressure and higher temps I find many beers finish fermentation in around a week.
I know some brewers say that doing this makes some really off smelling esters and such. But I've not found that so far. Seems to me that you save, a) a subscription to a gas supplier. And b) buying a £60 or more gas regulator which in theory although not the same is no better than a spunding valve. The only pita for you is then calculating how much NO2 to incorporate into the brew for a pub style stout etc and then buying it.

RoomWithABrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
@Arcs
Save yourself the trouble and don't calculate how much NO2 to put in your brew, it's toxic.

Not sure if you meant CO2 or a beer gas mix which is a mixture of Nitrogen gas N2 and CO2.

N20 made me laugh though!

Arcs

Landlord.
Reaction score
@Arcs
Save yourself the trouble and don't calculate how much NO2 to put in your brew, it's toxic.

Not sure if you meant CO2 or a beer gas mix which is a mixture of Nitrogen gas N2 and CO2.

N20 made me laugh though!
I did mean nitrogen obviously :P