Fermentation Brew Fridge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonesie71

Reaction score
Hi all

I've just bought a small under counter fridge to use as a brew fermentation chamber.

I've wired up a new Inkbird as per the forums, and have tested it with sensor a glass of ice water and 2 lights - seems good to go. Got fridge and heater at the ready. However both of these have built in thermostats.

I've noticed other posts mention removing the Fridges built in thermostat? Can anyone explain why this is needed? Surely if the thermostat is set to its lowest setting, this will always be lower than fermenting temp so wouldn't trip out when the STC calls for cooling.

Feel like I'm missing something here?

Thanks!

Mark

Hi Mark, I have 3 brew fridges now connected to STC1000's and not needed to touch the thermostat on the fridges, I use brew belts for the heating source.

Hi all

I've just bought a small under counter fridge to use as a brew fermentation chamber.

I've wired up a new Inkbird as per the forums, and have tested it with sensor a glass of ice water and 2 lights - seems good to go. Got fridge and heater at the ready. However both of these have built in thermostats.

I've noticed other posts mention removing the Fridges built in thermostat? Can anyone explain why this is needed? Surely if the thermostat is set to its lowest setting, this will always be lower than fermenting temp so wouldn't trip out when the STC calls for cooling.

Feel like I'm missing something here?
I think the thermostat-removers are trying to get it to go as close to zero as possible for cold-crashing after fermentation.

Thanks both - will leave it there then I reckon.

Whats your thoughts on computer fans in the chamber? I've not done this yet but seems to be a standard. Appreciate any recommendation on type of fan and how to power it.

I think the thermostat-removers are trying to get it to go as close to zero as possible for cold-crashing after fermentation.
I’ve been quite lucky that my fridge is reaching sub-zero temperatures on full without needing to fanny about with the thermostat (not that I have the capabilities to do so anyway).

I just turned the thermostat as low as it will go. I don't usually cold crash but have done a lager and had no trouble holding 2 centigrade during lagering. And I have never bothered with a computer fan in the fermentation fridge, apart from the one in my homemade stir plate, which I use in the fridge to build starters

Latest posts

Back