Fermentation chamber or kegorator

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thebiggestal

Reaction score
Hello

At the moment I am only able to have one or the other;

Which would people recommended I go for?

Fermentation chamber seems the sensible option but kegorator looks way cooler!

Yeah to be explicit I'd say controlling serving temp, I.e. Kegerator or keezer would get my vote as first of the two to get. Depending on your house setup there are the above options or a duvet wrapped around it to keep it relatively stable temp wise.

Is the exclusive or statement because of space by the way? I ask as money wise obviously the serving stuff costs lots more generally :).

Yeah to be explicit I'd say controlling serving temp, I.e. Kegerator or keezer would get my vote as first of the two to get. Depending on your house setup there are the above options or a duvet wrapped around it to keep it relatively stable temp wise.

Is the exclusive or statement because of space by the way? I ask as money wise obviously the serving stuff costs lots more generally :).

It is purely to keep the pregnant wife happy.

I have the space for the second fridge but she can be a difficult woman, especially with the happiness parasite growing in her :)

So I am just thinking what is best to up my game in the next couple of months.

SOLD.......kegorator it is

I would say it depends what you're brewing. If you wish to brew lagers(lagers ferment at lower temperatures than ales), I would have thought a fermentation fridge would be preferred, whereas if you brew ales, then as above, there are other ways to regulate the temperature during fermentation (I brew ales only, so a heatpad and inkbird do me fine).
If I had a choice, I'd go fermentation chamber as from what I have read/heard, temperature control of fermentation can enable the biggest improvement in your brews. The reason I don't brew lagers is because I don't have a fermentation fridge.
I have recently built a keezer, and you're right, it is cool to serve draft beer at home!
Note, I am relatively new to this too.

This is the most stupid question i have ever seen on here. Whats the most important stage in brewing Beer, Wine, anything alcoholic ? Fermentation, and if you can control the temp within 0.5 of a degree you will get far better results. You can buy a 2nd hand fridge for a few quid to dispense it from (if your into cold beer) personally i could not think of anything worse. This forum amazes me sometimes..:?::?:

This is the most stupid question i have ever seen on here. Whats the most important stage in brewing Beer, Wine, anything alcoholic ? Fermentation, and if you can control the temp within 0.5 of a degree you will get far better results. You can buy a 2nd hand fridge for a few quid to dispense it from (if your into cold beer) personally i could not think of anything worse. This forum amazes me sometimes..:?::?:
Hence my reply, you only need a cheap water bath to control fermentation temperature. Especially in the autumn, winter, spring.
The best thing about this forum is the range of views, that's what amazes me all the time athumb..

Think I'll keep the water bath in the back garden, for the blue ****, and stick to my setup. The end result is a bit more predictable. 😆😆

Attachments

• IMG_20201201_102642862.jpg
    IMG_20201201_102642862.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20201201_102655865.jpg
    IMG_20201201_102655865.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 50
That's good that you've found what works for you.

I've got a large larder fridge I use as a kegerator which can fit 5 corny kegs. I like having a lager or kolsch, california common, IPA in the kegerator quite cold. Also I keep a keg of carbonated water on tap too which I love. Stouts I keep in a PB out of the fridge as I don't want them overly carbonated or cold.

I agree the first thing the OP should concentrate on is the fermentation, and so temperature, hence the water bath. But you don't need a fridge to maintain stable temperatures. A water bath can easily achieve 0.5degC.

Last edited:
Fermentation fridge, regulating temp is a game changer. Not doing that is opening up too much variation in the quality of your brews. You can easily have small fridge and open up it up with polystyrene sheets , that will give you an bigger cool area, . Can you not put one under your kegerator and use that, ie on on top of the other

(if your into cold beer) personally i could not think of anything worse.
Then ...
The other is just an old, small under counter fridge that I dispense stout from. Like cold stout. With thermostat on lowest setting, it's 7 degrees. 👍

So you don't like cold beer ("personally I couldn't think of anything worse"), yet you have a fridge to specifically keep a stout cold? How confusing. Have you contracted lockdown syndrome?

Stay in, don't go out for any reason, but go to work and use public transport if you have to, but don't use public transport with a mask or without a mask, and our advise is to stay in and not go out for any reason at all, ever. That said, there's is no evidence that wearing a mask has any beneficial effect, unless you work in ICU where we recommend that you do wear a mask. Exercise away from the house if you must, but don't go outside or drink tea or coffee.

Are you related to BJ by any chance?

Latest posts

Back