Fermentation completely finishes during primary/bucket

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ebob01

Reaction score
Hi

I have had a few cases where my wine has been fermenting in the bucket vigorously then after 3 days since pitching the yeast it is completely finished before I have had a chance to transfer it.

It usually happens with mead or elderflower where there aren't lots of fruit and it's all just sugar and water.

Has anybody else had this problem?

What actually happens to the wine? Do I have to throw it out?

Are you using a hydrometer to check it has finished or bubbles in the airlock, three days is too soon for it to be finished.

If yes what was the start and finished reading?

I started some mead off on Saturday.

I just calculated the sugar content based off the side of the honey jar. Should have been potential alcohol around 13.5%.

I kept checking it and it was really bubbling vigorously.

I checked the gravity this evening and it was 1010 so hopefully it wasn't too far gone. I transferred it to a demijohn and the airlock is bubbling slowly.

What actually happens if you don't transfer it to a demijohn with airlock in time?

So long as you're not taking the lid of your FV every day there's no issue. I make 23l brews and always finish the ferment in the FV. If there's actual fruit in the brew I may rack to another bucked after 8 days or so. Then rack to clear the wine once the ferment has finished.

You can do the full ferment in a bucket if you so choose.

With modern methods most ferments are a lot faster than those in old books.

If it tastes alright its probably a keeper.

The only real BULLETPROOF guide is the hydrometer get OG and FG if these readings are in range the matter is settled.

Interesting, so really the only reason for racking out of the bucket and into a demijohn with an airlock is to stop bugs getting in and stop it oxidising...?

The only thing which I find confusing is that if I were to rack at 1020 for example, it would then take a further 2 weeks to finish in the demijohn.

However, in the bucket, once it's reached 1020 it would only take about another 2 days to finish in the bucket.

So what role is the air/oxygen playing?

At this point in the fermentation process (1020) I was under the impression the yeast are no longer using the oxygen to grow and reproduce and the yeast population is dropping due to dwindling sugar supply for them. Maybe this doesn't actually happen until the sugar content drops much lower...?

I standardly strain from bucket to demijohn after a week from adding the yeast. Unless I really want the bucket (I only have 1) to make another brew lol, then it will never be less than 5 days.

At the first racking (from bucket to demijohn.) you lose a lot of the active yeast as well as the dead stuff.
Because of the lack of oxygen and the presence of alcohol it takes the surviving yeast longer to rebuild the colony.
Hence the slowdown in fermentation.

So why do it is the next question.
By getting rid of all the trub and dead yeast the end result is a much cleaner tasting end product is the answer.
For the same reason at the very end when fermentation is finished there should be as little delay as possible in doing another racking.

As always there are exceptions in some wines the dead yeast play a part in getting the final taste.
Yeast in champagne bottles being one example.(traditionally produced only)

At the first racking (from bucket to demijohn.) you lose a lot of the active yeast as well as the dead stuff.
Because of the lack of oxygen and the presence of alcohol it takes the surviving yeast longer to rebuild the colony.
Hence the slowdown in fermentation.

So why do it is the next question.
By getting rid of all the trub and dead yeast the end result is a much cleaner tasting end product is the answer.
For the same reason at the very end when fermentation is finished there should be as little delay as possible in doing another racking.

As always there are exceptions in some wines the dead yeast play a part in getting the final taste.
Yeast in champagne bottles being one example.(traditionally produced only)

Ah right so a lot of the sediment still contains a lot of active yeast as well as dead yeast so by leaving this stuff behind then there are less yeast in the secondary fermenter, and they won't repopulate at the same rate without air

Latest posts

Back