Fermentation Completion Time - Saison

Discussion in 'General Beer Brewing Discussion' started by hamster, Oct 20, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Oct 20, 2019 #1

hamster

hamster

hamster

Hi All,

I've currently got a Saison on the go with Omega OYL-042 Belgian Saison II, currently gone from 1061 to 1010 in around 5 days and now it's literally trickling with activity but still going...

First brew with a Belgian yeast so is the 'last leg' of fermentation always this slow ? How long has it taken other for a full fermentation ? Last 2 days it's dropped 1-1/5 points...

I need to lower for the dry aspect and Beersmith telling me I should reach 1008, was hoping lower which is what all my previous brews have done based on Beersmith output

I've used Imperial Darkness in the past and gone from 1050 to 1007 in 4 days so this seems strange and under any other circumstances I'd have cold crashed and kegged by now !

2. Oct 20, 2019 #2

steveinUS

steveinUS

steveinUS

Active Member Supporting Member

Patience is required, sometimes they do churn slowly though I don't know that particular yeast. Ten days is not unheard of. If you have the means to do so, consider raising the temperature a couple degrees every day over the next few days, as high as 85F/29C. This has worked wonders on my Saisons using pretty much any of the Saison yeast strains I've used. My go-to heating chamber is a large trash can set over top the fermenter, with a heating device also underneath (heating pad should work). I plug the heat device into a temperature controller which turns the heater off and on to maintain the set temp.

3. Oct 20, 2019 #3

Clint

Clint

Clint

Hammered.....

Good idea with the bin over the fv steveinUS.

4. Oct 20, 2019 #4

hamster

hamster

hamster

Thanks Steve, she's sitting at 27c and has been since pitch, I want those yeast to crank out as much funk as possible...
    It's in a fermentation fridge with a 60w tube heater and as it's getting cold it's hard to get it to go higher
    I'll just leave it be, Tilt has literally just read a point below previous so it's still doing something. I don't need the FV for another 2 weeks

5. Oct 20, 2019 #5

MickDundee

MickDundee

MickDundee

Landlord.

I have no experience with that particular yeast, but the 2 saisons I’ve done have finished at 1.004 and 1.002 respectively so I would have thought you’d be expecting lower than 1.008