fermentation fridge how to ??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr BR

Regular.
Reaction score
as the post title says is there a how to for making one of these is i have had a look and cant find one thanks :cheers:

Depends what you're trying to accomplish. If you're simply looking for a way to do lagers in the summer time, then the "conversion" can be as simple as pulling the shelves out of a fridge and putting your carboy in there.

If you're wanting to get really precise with your temperature control or ferment at ale temps, then you can get either separate controller that you plug the fridge into so it only turns on at a certain point. There are "no wiring required" type where you'll plug the fridge into the controller, then the controller into the wall. Or there are more complex ones where you'll actually get into cutting wires up (but usually these ones are fancier and can control heaters at the same time, like the one in the sponsor link at the top of this page).

When it comes to playing with electricity I can only do the basics. All the talk about STC1000's and the like doesn't really mean much to me at all. A 'how to' by a forum member that knows their stuff would be a great idea. As long as its explained in a way a kid could understand, all the better for me :D .

It's a very easy thing to accomplish. The easiest way is to plug a third party temp controller (ranko is what I use) into the fridge or freezer and set the temp at whatever you wish to ferment at. There really is no conversion needed. The temp controller will take care of all the temp adjustments you need. One thing to keep in mind is that you want to measure the temp of the liquid not the ambient temp. The temp of fermenting beer can easily be 10 degrees higher than the ambient temp. The most common setup is a ranko controller plugged into the freezer and the probe stuck into a thermowell on the carboy. The whole setup cost me about 150.00 minus the freezer.

I have built a couple of these . I dont really do electrics but it was pretty easy and I found all the info on here.
First I picked up a couple of under counter fridges on E-bay, for 99p and £4. Then purchased the stc1000 controllers and 2 12watt greenhouse heater tubes. There is a wiring diagram on here that is easy to follow. I bought a box from any electrical supplier and two normal 13amp plug sockets. You cut holes in the box for the two sockets and the stc. connect the wire as the diagram. plug the fridge in the cold supply and drill a hole in the fridge to run the flex out for the tube and plug in the heat socket.Drill another hole in the fridge to run the probe through. Dont know if this helps ,but is pretty straight forward.
DSC07588.jpg

DSC07585.jpg

That sounds easy enough actually. I think I need some explanation of these thermowells though. Is it just a closed off copper tube drilled through the side of the FV that the temperature probe sits in? If so, then I presume the copper conducts the heat from the liquid, and the tube needs to be a snug fit around the probe to avoid air contact.
Have I got that right?

I'd like to fit one to my HLT and my FV at some point.

I bought a tall larder fridge on ebay £30
An STC-1000 which I wired myself £17 +£10 for cables connectors etc.
60w tube heater from Toolstation £15

I ran the heater power cable through the condensation drain so no drilling was involved.
The sensor cable is thin so fits fine through door seal.

I don't think it is necessary to measure the wort in fact I think it is wrong and can lead to large temperature swings due to thermal mass of the liquid.
Find out what works best for you in your environment but I have found the temperature variation to be negligible.

Controller v1

5678980703_e4ea9b45e0.jpg

Controller v2

5966586039_8168b80cbc.jpg
[/url]

Fridge 1

5690197075_b2eb0699ca.jpg

5687136643_012227c062.jpg

this was most helpful confirmed what i needed to know thanks to everyone who answered much appreciated :cheers:

I have also seen a hair-dryer being used as heater, but that was in a bit larger wooden box which was just insulated with some matting.

I think you do want to measure the temp of the wort, or at least close to it. I just have a little pocket made with bubble wrap taped to the side of the FV and shove the probe into this.....any insulating material would work for this....better than just measuring the air temp inside the fridge

yeah a think a would put the probe on the side as its the wort i wont at the preset temp not the air inside the fridge i know it would eventually conduct through into the FV but i would imagine that would take some time might do a small experiment and try it both ways and see which one is more consistent temp wise and which one cools the FV quickest and anything else i can think of :cheers:

Mr BR said:
yeah a think a would put the probe on the side as its the wort i wont at the preset temp not the air inside the fridge

That's how fridges work :D
You don't have a probe in your fridge for milk/cucumbers/cheese etc but try what is best for you as it will vary for fridge size etc.

BTW - Do you know what punctuation is? :mrgreen:

:lol: yeah a know what punctuation is,just woke up and was heading out the door in a rush .Must try harder in future. :cheers:

Now this is interesting. I've just rigged up a STC-1000 and a tube heater inside a fridge.

50c0e74e-a0d8-875d.jpg

I too was going to measure the air temp inside the fridge working on the assumption that the liquid temp would reach the same temp as the air. But now I'm thinking otherwise.

I have a plastic temperature sensor and I'm now wondering what would work best. Having the sensor immersed in the wort or strapped to the side of the FV or something different?

Hi Crofty,
Try it either way and also use a thermometer to measure both air and wort for the first brew or two. See if your fridge is holding the temp, cycling too much or if there is a difference in the wort temp to what you have set. There is no right or wrong just what works best for you.

i was looking in to a fermenting fridge i think i am right you can not get a fermenting bin in a standard under work top fridge am i right or wrong :wha: :wha: i would love to know befour i got one ?????? :thumb:

tazuk said:
i was looking in to a fermenting fridge i think i am right you can not get a fermenting bin in a standard under work top fridge am i right or wrong :wha: :wha: i would love to know befour i got one ?????? :thumb:

Yes but make sure it does not have a freezer / ice box in the top.

You will also need something for the FV to sit on as the glass shelf will not hold the weight.

I use mine in the summer to cool and server from kegs as well.

IMAG0483.jpg

wow that is deceving it look so big mmmmm i have one of those bins nice i take it you dont use a fem lock on the bin

anthonyUK said:
Controller v1

5678980703_e4ea9b45e0.jpg

Controller v2

5966586039_8168b80cbc.jpg
[/url]
]

Where did you get the exclosures from for your temp controller? Did they come with the hold pre-cut or did you have to cut it yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back