Fermentation fridge newbie question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popey

Reaction score
I'm interested in getting hold of a fridge to use for controlling fermentation. What width fridge do you use for a 25l fermentation bucket? Looking online at the moment and I have no clue as to what the minimum size is that I could get away with. I'm thinking 600mm - but would a narrower fridge do?
I'm just trying to widen my options, especially with regards to getting a secondhand one.
Thanks for your help.

Cheers!

Mark

I'm interested in getting hold of a fridge to use for controlling fermentation. What width fridge do you use for a 25l fermentation bucket? Looking online at the moment and I have no clue as to what the minimum size is that I could get away with. I'm thinking 600mm - but would a narrower fridge do?
I'm just trying to widen my options, especially with regards to getting a secondhand one.
Thanks for your help.

Cheers!

Mark
I've not got a fridge nearby to check but I'd guess the the insulation on each side is 50mm thick at the most so a 600mm fridge would be close to 500mm width inside.

Thanks BarnBrian.

I've just had a quick look at our 600mm wide under-counter fridge (perhaps I should have done this before posting...D'Oh!) . Anyway, I think the problem is more likely to be the internal height rather than the width. My bucket has a diameter of 370mm and the internal dimensions of the fridge are 485mm D x 500mm W. However the height available is 450mm. The height of the bucket including airlock is 600mm. So I need a plan B... asad1
The minimum temperature in our garage is 16 degrees, maximum 21 degrees, so I think I should be OK...I'll just go with the flow when I do my brew this weekend and hope for the best...

Robster, thanks for the suggestion - but space is an issue. I was going to stack the fermentation fridge on top of the under counter fridge (they are both in my garage. I'm also worried now that I'm overthinking things! I'm going to do my (first) kit brew tomorrow and hope for the best...

Robster, thanks for the suggestion - but space is an issue. I was going to stack the fermentation fridge on top of the under counter fridge (they are both in my garage. I'm also worried now that I'm overthinking things! I'm going to do my (first) kit brew tomorrow and hope for the best...
You don't actually need a fermentation fridge to make good beer. They are a brewing 'nice to have' although some on this forum will try to convince you otherwise.
If you are new to brewing I suggest you get the basics right before considering a fridge. More on that here if you are starting off on kits
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...de-to-brewing-your-own-beer-from-a-kit.57526/
And I use a water bath for brewing in my garage. They are perfectly adequate for maintaining a steady brewing temperature for the majority of the year (unless you intend to brew lagers in summer), they don't take up much space and can be packed away when not in use.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/how-to-set-up-a-water-bath-for-your-fv.66407/
However if you feel the need to set up a fridge later on, you will have at least acquired some brewing know-how to get the best from it.

You don't actually need a fermentation fridge to make good beer. They are a brewing 'nice to have' although some on this forum will try to convince you otherwise...
Terry,

this is the conclusion that I've come to. My first batch is on the go in the garage. I've wrapped the fermentation bucket in bubble wrap to try to keep a stable temperature environment. To quote Doris Day - Que sera sera...

Thanks for your help.

Cheers!

Mark

Just bought a 600mm fridge from eBay for £15. Lots of room for 25l FV. I was more concerned getting one without a big shelf at the bottom (where the compressor fits) - I can fit a FV with airlock as it only has a "half shelf". BTW, the one I bought wouldn't go down below 10c, so I just bypassed the internal thermostat and used an ITC308 controller with a 40 watt tube heater to keep the temperature right, whatever the outside temperature.

Darren,
thanks for your post. I'm on the lookout for something similar and I'mm get hold of something in due course...

I was making a very small fridge for my van and after trying out the 12v peltier types I stumbled upon a very cheap ice maker for £20 delivered - because the ice maker bucket was broken. Tested it out and it works well as a very compact refrigeration unit just over a foot square. All you really need is one of these, some insulation board, another fan and a bit of inventiveness. Plus a controller of some sort.
...Would also make a nice air conditioner if it gets too hot.

Latest posts

Back