Fermentation Fridge to maintain mash temp?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriffle88

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a fermentation fridge to maintain their mash temperature?

Instead of using a converted cool box etc I'm thinking of just using a regular bottling pail (30 L) and popping in the brew fridge with the temp set to 65.

Any obvious reasons why this wouldn't work?

I always struggled a bit to keep the mash temperature even wrapping with towels/blankets/single quilts...........now I put the pan in the oven that I set for 60-70 c, mind you ts only 11lts so not too big.
Never thought about using my fridge although you'll never get the fridge up that high, no idea how hot you can actually ramp the fridge up to ??

Never thought of it either, nice idea. Not sure how the extra bits would take it, cooling components, electrics, etc. but I don't think there'd be any issues with the structural bits, I've scoured them out with boiling water before and they've been fine. I'd guess they have to take high ambient temperatures during storage, a container in the summer sun in Spain must hit well over 50 deg C.

I've done a bit of experimentation and I think the simple answer here is - you can't get the fridge up to 65 degrees - at least not mine!

Thinking about it the insulation properties of a fridge in the UK are designed to cope with a temperature difference of may be a max of 30 degrees (outside to inside temp). In my 15 degree outhouse (brew house :D) to get the fridge to 65 degrees needs something more thermally efficient than a scrap heap reclaimed domestic fridge.

I'll give it it a go for real with a mash but will have some quilts on hand I think.

I mash on the stove top and it seems relatively easy to keep a constant temp of 65 degrees?
Heat up water to 70 degrees, add grain, temp drops 4 or 5 degrees.
Put pan on smallest ring, highest setting, bring temp back to 65 degrees if necessary.
Turn off gas.... Leave 15 mins, stir, check temp, repeat from above step if necessary.

I mash on the stove top and it seems relatively easy to keep a constant temp of 65 degrees?
Heat up water to 70 degrees, add grain, temp drops 4 or 5 degrees.
Put pan on smallest ring, highest setting, bring temp back to 65 degrees if necessary.
Turn off gas.... Leave 15 mins, stir, check temp, repeat from above step if necessary.

Thanks @Mavroz - that is helpful - I have a boiler that has elements in it (e.g. not on a gas burner/stove top) if I did what you suggest and used a bag for my malt - could I then just keep in the same vessel for my boil? I can't see any reason why not.

I use a bag to mash the grain in, in the pan. Never burned etc.

Back