Fermentation Fridge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My fridge doesn't have a drain hole, and I don't want to risk drilling.
Do you think you could just feed the dimplex power cord through the door, or would it not seal?

@Markk I was also thinking about maybe using a brewing heat mat instead, which I think has a thinner power cord? Do you think that would be powerful enough to heat the inside of the fridge, or does it need to be in direct contact with the FV to work?
Drilling into the wall of the fridge is less stressful than you'd think as they almost all have the refrigerant tubes at the back, with insulation only at the side. If you have any doubt go in with a bradawl first through the metal skin of the fridge and you'll be able to feel your way with it to the inner aspect of the fridge. If I can do it then I think anyone can! I do like things to look neat though so put grommets on both sides which nicely seals the gap around the wire.
IMG_0038.jpeg
IMG_0041.jpeg

I did the same for the thermometer cable, though threaded one grommet on over the probe and wire before pushing the probe through from the outside, then another on after it was in the fridge, that way you don't need to cut the wire.

Drilling into the wall of the fridge is less stressful than you'd think as they almost all have the refrigerant tubes at the back, with insulation only at the side. If you have any doubt go in with a bradawl first through the metal skin of the fridge and you'll be able to feel your way with it to the inner aspect of the fridge. If I can do it then I think anyone can! I do like things to look neat though so put grommets on both sides which nicely seals the gap around the wire.
View attachment 34472View attachment 34473

I did the same for the thermometer cable, though threaded one grommet on over the probe and wire before pushing the probe through from the outside, then another on after it was in the fridge, that way you don't need to cut the wire.
That looks like a really neat job !

Back