Fermentation techniques

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm about to start a Festival Landlord kit. I haven't brewed beer for quite a few years and have a query regarding fermentation.

Once I pitch my yeast the instructions note to fit my lid with an airlock. In the past I've done more of an open top fermentation with a lid resting on top but not tightly connected.

In my old beer book it notes to skim off debris from the frothy head to prevent the beer being tainted, taking care to leave as much of the clean yeast as possible (I think to stop this layer falling into the beer once fermentation has ceased). Is this seen as good practice today? I think I have done this in the past (but can't remember). I understand that this could result in damaging the process if I introduce anything to affect fermentation. The instructions don't comment on this. I'm curious to what others do to the dirty head that can be produced.

Thanks.

Once I pitch the yeast, I typically don't mess with it until it's done. Everything falls back in. I also leave the beer on the yeast at least a week after fermentation has completed so it can clean up after itself. I've never had an issue with it. I'd be more worried about introducing oxygen and/or bacteria into the beer by skimming.

Once I pitch the yeast, I typically don't mess with it until it's done. Everything falls back in. I also leave the beer on the yeast at least a week after fermentation has completed so it can clean up after itself. I've never had an issue with it. I'd be more worried about introducing oxygen and/or bacteria into the beer by skimming.
Thanks for that. My book is a Camera (1994) guide and I'm guessing practices have changed. Will stick to the instructions in the kit and not mess with the brew.

I still do that rather old-fashioned thing of skimming the wort. I reckon it's as much about catching odd hop leaves and debris as anything else. I only do it once. Obviously make sure any implements you use are clean and sterilised.

Put it this way; I don't think it does any harm.

I still do that rather old-fashioned thing of skimming the wort. I reckon it's as much about catching odd hop leaves and debris as anything else. I only do it once. Obviously make sure any implements you use are clean and sterilised.

Put it this way; I don't think it does any harm.
Hi Moto, thanks. I'm going to leave it this time, bit nervous of ruining my first brew for a while. As I'm using a kit I won't have any hop leaves to worry about. May do it once I get back into the swing of things. Cheers 🥃

a lot of breweries here in Bayern skim krausen, there is school of thought that by letting it fall back in to the beer it adds additional astringency but I believe I read someone did a test and it was very minimal. As its a chance to have bacteria get into your beer I would not skim

Latest posts

Back