Fermentation temperature control advice.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XiRho

Reaction score
Good evening folks,

Having recently completed my first AG brew (small batch, BIAB) I want to move on to doing larger batches. I am going to purchase some things to attempt to do a 20L BIAB. One thing I noticed was that the only places I have in my home to keep the fermenter that don't suffer from large temperature fluctuations tend to get on the cool side at times. During the day temps sit at around 17/18C but these can drop down towards 14/15 at the opposite side of the clock to the heating being on.

One thing I need a bit of advice about is how best to control fermentation temperature. I know the popular method is to use a fridge, but this is not a viable option for me at this time - I need to try to keep footprint low. I only need the ability to add heat.

Fermenter wise - I plan on using a 30L Speidel. I am more than happy to get an inkbird, but would like to know what the best way to use this would be. Options I have currently looked at would be a heat belt or pad (vivarium type mat). If I do it this way, is it as simple as taping the probe somewhere away from the heatsource on the outside of the fermenter? I was looking into thermowells, but am not sure it would be worth the hassle for a set up like this.

I understand other options are to place the fermenter in a water bath and control the temperature of that with an aquarium heater, but I don't really have the space or logistics for this. I also have read about some just dropping an aquarium heater straight into the fermenter, but I am also reading about downsides of this such as increased risk of contamination, hot spots and also how to wire it in without causing an air leak.

Any advice is appreciated in advance!

Large heat pad, an ink bird and some form of insulation such as a sleeping bag if all you require is heat.

Yes, tape the probe into the outside of the fv away from the heat source, with some bubble wrap or similar to insulate it. I tape the insulation to the fv, leaving the top edge open like a pocket that I slide the temp probe into.

Bigcol, I will have a look in to making a box but I suspect probably not... some research required though.

Thanks for the other advice and responses!

Well, a purpose-built insulated box, built from building insulation sheets, is by definition, not much bigger than a FV. Just cut the sheet to size & tape it together with duct tape. For heating, well if you've not put it in a seriously sub-zero environment then a "reptile" heating mat will do. And, if you only need to heat, and not cool as well, then I'd suggest:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Elec...ller-Socket-/152804573215?hash=item2393dcc01f
I've had a few of these from eBay, for various purposes, and every one has worked flawlessly
The heating mats are cheap too - just search for reptile heating on eBay

I used one of those 25W heater belts and an inkbird controller in the corner of my kitchen. It worked very well and the equipment got moved into my brewing freezer when I got it a few months later. In the winter I needed to put something underneath to get the FV off the concrete floor to keep 18C (I used an old Yellow Pages)

How old is that?
Not just there for the bad things in life ...amazing how a catchy slogan stays with you. I'm in my early 40s and would say it was an advert when I was say primary school age so early to mid 80s maybe.

Latest posts

Back