Fermentation temperature

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbie

Reaction score
I've another question for the experts...
Up to now I've just left my beer to ferment at room temp, sat beside the radiator. That's been ok in the winter but even then I was getting swings of at least 2 degrees each day.
It's now too warm in the flat (up to 24 C), and too cold in the basement (14C).
An aquarium heater looks like a good idea for when I can ferment in the flat again, but there is no power in the basement... I don't think a battery supply to an aquarium heater is feasible, any other ideas on how I can get the temperature up so I can ferment in the basement?
Failing that, is there anything I can brew which will ferment at 14 C with no temp control?

Are those ambient temperatures? The beer will get going and produce a bit of heat such that it will often be a couple of degrees above ambient. It will probably still work in the basement, perhaps try insulating the FV after the initial burst of fermentation has occurred or pitching more yeast to make sure it gets going quick enough. Also minor swings in temperature can be tolerated (by most) due to the thermal mass of 25kg of beer.

What about a lager? They will ferment at 14 deg if you use a lager yeast.

Thanks for the replies.
A fermenting cabinet seems like a good idea but in the winter I can get a steady 17 degrees anyway, so not sure I can justify the cost.
I've managed to clear a space in a cupboard on the other side of the flat and it's a couple of degrees cooler, I'll chance it for the next brew and see how it goes and maybe postpone brewing until it gets a bit cooler again!

Yeah, many brits (well... at least me) don't brew in the summer for just this reason.

I was fermenting in my shed this winter at 5 deg...

I pitched at 22deg
Insulated the bin with a sleeping bag
The ferment was never a problem as the temp rised with activity..
Used SO4 yeast

Be lucky :thumb:

That's quite interesting, I could try and split the next batch and ferment one in the basement and see how it goes.
I've not got much experience so I've not had a chance to taste how much effect the temp has on the final beer, but I guess it's pretty important from what I've read.
The only problem I've had so far is with a tripel I brewed which never got anywhere near the final gravity it should have. I want to do a golden ale at about 9% and I think I'll need to gradually ramp up the temp to get the low FG to give the dryness for that style.
I'll put that one off to later in the year and look into an aquarium heater or belt to give me some temp control.

Back