Fermentation time question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffers brewery

Complicated Brewer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I currently have a brew in my fermentation fridge. It’s been there 7 days so in the “finishing off” phase. I was wondering what the consequences would be if, rather than wait for fermentation to finish (2 SG readings the same over 3 days) if I were to transfer to my King Keg a day or so after high krausen? My thinking is that by transferring the beer earlier I’d save a week of fermentation fridge time and free up my fermentation bucket. I’d still cold crash and prime the beer for carbonation as usual. The only thing I can think of is there would be more sediment dropped in the keg. Any thoughts?

These days, I usually transfer from FV to a μpvc jerrycan/carboy, thoroughly flush with CO₂, and leave the beer there before kegging for a couple of weeks. As you imply, the main reason I do this is to reduce the amount of sediment in the keg (and of course, the idea is to free up the brew fridge more quickly). I suppose it could theoretically help the stability of the kegged beer, as there is less yeast & other stuff in the keg to biodegrade, but I've really no idea if this is actually the case. Sometimes I use gelatine finings in the jerrycan, but most often I don't. If I think that the fermentation may still be "ticking over" then I fit a cap with a fermentation lock, otherwise I just squeeze the jerrycan a little, cap it tight & keep an eye on its shape to see if any pressure is building up. (I don't cold crash, and I don't prime).
As a slight aside, I used to use a primary and secondary FV, mainly because my usual yeast was very, very strongly top fermenting, so I decided to emulate "double dropping", using a tap on the bottom of the primary FV, but I don't usually bother these days and it doesn't seem much different.

So, I currently have a brew in my fermentation fridge. It’s been there 7 days so in the “finishing off” phase. I was wondering what the consequences would be if, rather than wait for fermentation to finish (2 SG readings the same over 3 days) if I were to transfer to my King Keg a day or so after high krausen? My thinking is that by transferring the beer earlier I’d save a week of fermentation fridge time and free up my fermentation bucket. I’d still cold crash and prime the beer for carbonation as usual. The only thing I can think of is there would be more sediment dropped in the keg. Any thoughts?

Sounds like a good idea to me to be fair. Depending on the yeast as well it could actually be beneficial (Ringwood springs to mind as needing a bit of a nudge to keep going). Double drop fermenters spring to mind?

Plus, you could probably gain a bit of carbonation with a PRV in a king keg. When I used them I I remember they could happily take 10 psi or so 🍺

Latest posts

Back