Fermentation Vessel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I said, I've got one and it does look nice. If you polish it enough you tell your reflection it was all worth it...
In retrospect I could probably have wrapped my plastic fermentor in tin foil and satisfy my magpie like urges for a fraction of the price, then again I also bought a tilt which again is great but stupidly overpriced, so maybe I just like overpriced brewing gear a tad too much.

I use 30L blue barrel with stainless tap and camlock for easy transfers

Depends on my fermentation needs.

Wilco 30L wide neck Fv - conventional fermentation.

Pressurised fermentation, lagers or very hoppy beers I want to closed transfer - Corny keg.

Open fermentation - A 28L catering, stainless gastronorm.

4 x Fast Ferment & 2 x 25L buckets for lagers that need to fit in the fridge.
D71A580B-0850-4F38-BEB2-9DB9D82D1C5C.jpeg

Depends on my fermentation needs.

Wilco 30L wide neck Fv - conventional fermentation.

Pressurised fermentation, lagers or very hoppy beers I want to closed transfer - Corny keg.

Open fermentation - A 28L catering, stainless gastronorm.
Open fermentation, you have me interested. What style of beer do you brew using that method

2 X 23L plastic buckets. But I only really use one of them. The one with the tap. Had them for about 8 years.

Bit fed up with them though. Also annoyed that my hoppy beers are losing aroma and taste fast. Going to get a fermentasauras for closed transfers.

Open fermentation, you have me interested. What style of beer do you brew using that method
So far I've only done a couple of Bitters. My initial intention for the FV was for brewing Belgian Trappiste style ales with it and I'll next use it to brew a Quadruple and then possibly a Vossaol using kviek yeast. Theoretically, any style where you want to enhance esters and/or top crop yeast.

Me too. I often think about making a homebrew scale Yorkshire square, but using an open vessel would be a first step in that direction.
A Yorkshire Square, now there's an undertaking I'd be interested in seeing someone else attempt.

So far I've only done a couple of Bitters. My initial intention for the FV was for brewing Belgian Trappiste style ales with it and I'll next use it to brew a Quadruple and then possibly a Vossaol using kviek yeast. Theoretically, any style where you want to enhance esters and/or top crop yeast.
Where do you brew with it. Do you have any pictures. I seen a few videos online of big open vats. Sounds really interesting and something I would like to try.

I've been using the same plastic bucket for more than 5 years now. i've just upgraded to a conical SS fermenter. The tap means that I don't need to siphon any more, and I wanted something bullet proof that I can clean easily and quickly without having to worry about nasties hiding in dings in the plastic. Time will tell if it was worth the investment. I've never had issues with the plastic bucket, but I thought that I have been doing this for long enough that it was worth the upgrade.

One of the guys over here tried it.
1592891851244.png

1592891913351.png

Wasn't a success but that was his first go, really it should be done in a clean sterile atmosphere and covered over as the krausen starts to die down. I was in the Czech Republic (or whatever they are called now) I wanted to visit this brewery close to the Bavarian border but unfortunately it had closed down. Doesn't look that clean but anyone who has been in the brewery pubs will see similar set ups of the open fermenter just sitting in the brewery area.
http://allaboutbeer.com/secrets-czech-brewing/

Location is the tricky part, somewhere where in won't be disturbed (or disturb others) by draughts blowing dust in. Doesn't need to sterile, though. I shut mine away in the dining room. It only need to be open for the first couple of days when esters form, then it can be covered or dropped to another Fv.
DSC_0082-02.jpeg
IMG_5op8mz.jpg

Location is the tricky part, somewhere where in won't be disturbed (or disturb others) by draughts blowing dust in. Doesn't need to sterile, though. I shut mine away in the dining room. It only need to be open for the first couple of days when esters form, then it can be covered or dropped to another Fv.View attachment 28088View attachment 28089
They look very similar vessels, what are they?

Location is the tricky part, somewhere where in won't be disturbed (or disturb others) by draughts blowing dust in. Doesn't need to sterile, though. I shut mine away in the dining room. It only need to be open for the first couple of days when esters form, then it can be covered or dropped to another Fv.View attachment 28088View attachment 28089
Is this to re-create the open top fermenters of old? I am assuming that this method works well? otherwise you wouldn’t still be doing it. No one wants to produce bad beer. I would worry that dust that you can’t really see will be getting into the fermenter, maybe even the odd fly etc. What is the success rate of this method? I know that brewery’s once used open top fermentation but the Krausen on top often looked like a cement wall, impenetrable. Though the move to closed fermentation on a commercial scale leads me to believe that open top had its major issues. What’s your thoughts?

i have a fermzilla and a fermentasauraus and a fast ferment and plastic buckets. i try to use the fermzs with every brew. When i build my large brewing shed im going to upgrade to stainless.
What's your opinion on the Zilla v's Sauraus? I have the Sauraus and love it as which bring many advantages over buckets but the bottom collection system is awful.

I use a couple of converted Sankey kegs usually. Since moving to the UK and starting from scratch, I purchased a Speidel 60 litre plastic fermenter, which I have to say is bloody fantastic. I purchased a couple of fittings from NorCal Brewing in the US which means I can keg under pressure like I have done previously.
If you are looking for good value SS fermenters, I can see why these wouldn't work well..... 50 L drum Europa Beer | Polsinelli Enologia

Back