Fermented hot sauce

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good you resurrected the thread.
Was watching a blog today about vacuum sealing your fermentation. Recon its worth a go as I've a vacuum sealer for storing hops.

I know there is no "fermenting" with this dipping sauce, but it is so tasty and so easy to make that I thought I would include it here anyway!

Ingredients:
  • Two tablespoonful of Peanut Butter. (Can be "crunchy" or "smooth" - your choice.)
  • Two tablespoonful of Hoisin Sauce.
  • Two teaspoonful of Soya Sauce.
Method:
  • Put the peanut butter in a small saucepan.
  • Start a moderate heat under the saucepan.
  • Stirring all the time:
    • Add water until the peanut butter and water forms a thick sauce and starts to boil.
    • Add the Hoisin Sauce and Soya Sauce until all three ingredients are combined.
    • Remove from the heat, keep stirring and pour the sauce into a suitable container for dipping.
Allow the sauce to fully cool and in the meantime prepare batons of carrots, cucumber, celery etc for dipping.

Serve cold as an entree to a meal or as a snack on its own

Tip: Too much Soya Sauce can make the sauce salty.

Was watching a blog today about vacuum sealing your fermentation. Recon its worth a go as I've a vacuum sealer for storing hops.

There's some great advice on t'Internet. If you search for "fermentation using plastic bags" you will be inundated with them! I've used Easy Homemade Sauerkraut and Kimchi Recipe - in a Bag! and it gives a great feel for the system.

Having said that, I think the 2½% salt that they recommend is too high when using the Kosher Salt that I bought!

Enjoy!

There's some great advice on t'Internet. If you search for "fermentation using plastic bags" you will be inundated with them! I've used Easy Homemade Sauerkraut and Kimchi Recipe - in a Bag! and it gives a great feel for the system.

Having said that, I think the 2½% salt that they recommend is too high when using the Kosher Salt that I bought!

Enjoy!
Last time I tried sauerkraut I use table salt. It sort of fermented but I think the main flavour came from the fennel seeds I threw in.

Left over/freezer bag special.

Assorted red & green chilli peppers, garlic, ginger, red pepper, rocket, apple. All sat in brine (~4%) with a glug of honey. Time will tell!
IMG_20220403_153028.jpg

with a glug of honey. Time will tell!
View attachment 65957

That should be “hot”! Well done!

……. Only one of last years left overs germinated, I'm hoping it was one of the Serannos.

At the moment I still have the dried out compost, six chopped off stalks and the mock fire-bucket on the windowsill from a year ago!

Not one of the chilli flowers germinated, so this year I will wait until the frosts have gone before trying again - maybe May at this rate!
aheadbutt

Don't know yet, my wife is the grower so I'm sure she has some in mind. I'm not into stupendously outrageous heat but I do like a bit of a challenge, are there any you recommend?

Chipotle chilis are a great mix of reasonable heat kick, but have a deep smokey complexity, that would be great for bbq food.

As they're dried then a guess maybe jalapeño would be a similar place to start?

Chipotles are dried and smoked ripe jalapenos

You cant go wrong with jalapenos as they are great green too. Bit late to start them, I would order some plug plants now or buy some from a garden centre

My last recipe which was nice, its hot but not ridiculously hor.
6 Chipotle
5 habanero
Carrot
Onion
Pepper
1 garlic
2 tomatoes
Think I did a 3.5% brine

Been going about 3 weeks now, I think I'm going to blend, boil and bottle it on Monday. Might add some xanthan gum to make it smoother. Hopefully the small chunk of Kahm yeast doesn't affect the flavour too much. Not sure if I'll reserve / use any of the brine water after I skim off the kahm yeast.
rdymnd.jpg
kahm.jpg

….. Not sure if I'll reserve / use any of the brine water after I skim off the kahm yeast.
View attachment 69442View attachment 69443
I usually use most of the brine to maintain the sanitisation of the sauce and the xantham gum to stop it separating. With a well packed jar it’s not usually too “runny”.

BTW, why did you add yeast? As a general rule I leave mine to ferment on its own, never boil it and store it in the fridge for up to a month without any problems.
:hat:

I usually use most of the brine to maintain the sanitisation of the sauce and the xantham gum to stop it separating. With a well packed jar it’s not usually too “runny”.

BTW, why did you add yeast? As a general rule I leave mine to ferment on its own, never boil it and store it in the fridge for up to a month without any problems.

I didn't add yeast :D It's lactofermented with a 3.5% brine. Most vegies have yeast on the surface, the lactic acid from the brine keeps the yeast at bay but on the surface of the water that's a different story!

I didn't add yeast :D It's lactofermented with a 3.5% brine. Most vegies have yeast on the surface, the lactic acid from the brine keeps the yeast at bay but on the surface of the water that's a different story!
That’ll be why then. :D

I never leave my ferment for three weeks so I never see anything more than “cloudy”! athumb..

Enjoy.

That’ll be why then. :D

I never leave my ferment for three weeks so I never see anything more than “cloudy”! athumb..

Enjoy.

My plan when I harvest my chilli crop this year is to do a 6 month ferment! I want to see just how funky I can go with the flavours. If I get a big enough batch of chillies I might try a couple with some Liquid smoke or Apricots.

My plan when I harvest my chilli crop this year is to do a 6 month ferment! I want to see just how funky I can go with the flavours. If I get a big enough batch of chillies I might try a couple with some Liquid smoke or Apricots.
Great idea! athumb..

Why not “Cold Smoke” some of your own chillies? It’s easy to do and a far cry from adding “Liquid Smoke”!

Great idea! athumb..

Why not “Cold Smoke” some of your own chillies? It’s easy to do and a far cry from adding “Liquid Smoke”!

That........makes far more sense considering I HAVE a cold smoker. You ever have it when the obvious thing to do seems completely oblivious to you :D?

Can I ask why you wouldn't boil it? I just made my first sauce (searched here for Xanthan gum because of it separating) and boiled mine. My understanding is that it stops the fermentation makes things much easier to blend and ensures its safe.

Latest posts

Back