Fermented hot sauce

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geigercntr

Miembro senior
Reaction score
Just starting off a batch of hot sauce.

Red chilli peppers, some dried ancho peppers, some ginger and garlic and a handful of blueberries from the Tesco yellow sticker section.

Covered with a 3% brine solution. Will leave it until I remember to do something with it (probably around a month), by which time it should've fermented nicely and turned nice and complex and hot and sour. I'll blend the solid material down and add enough of the liquid to hit the consistency I'm after

img_20190827_142428-01-jpeg.20428

Attachments

• IMG_20190827_142428-01.jpeg
    IMG_20190827_142428-01.jpeg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,336
Last edited by a moderator:
Not done this specific recipe, but made a good few batches now. All bar one have come out really well. The one that didn't was because the batch of peppers I used had as much heat in them as a wet teabag. No amount of fermentation is going to make them exciting

Do you literally blend in a food processor/hand blender etc? Do you remove anything first? I'm interested as I'm gonna grow chillies for sriracha sauce.
Depends what's in there tbh. I'll remove stuff like mustard seeds or cloves/cardomon which are unlikely to blend well. I'll leave most other stuff in there.

Oh and I use one of those 'stick' style hand blenders

Depends what's in there tbh. I'll remove stuff like mustard seeds or cloves/cardomon which are unlikely to blend well. I'll leave most other stuff in there.

Oh and I use one of those 'stick' style hand blenders
This makes a lot of sense. I was in this fermented hot sauce group on Facebook and didn't get how people's "sauce" went from being pickles basically, to a sauce. Blending is the missing step!

This makes a lot of sense. I was in this fermented hot sauce group on Facebook and didn't get how people's "sauce" went from being pickles basically, to a sauce. Blending is the missing step!
Gotcha. I think I'm likely in that same FB group! Another tip is to get yourself a pack of xantham gum. Works as a thickening agent and can thicken a thin sauce and prevents the brine and blended solid portions from splitting

I live sriracha sauce; what type of chilies are you going to use?
Don't know yet, my wife is the grower so I'm sure she has some in mind. I'm not into stupendously outrageous heat but I do like a bit of a challenge, are there any you recommend?

Gotcha. I think I'm likely in that same FB group! Another tip is to get yourself a pack of xantham gum. Works as a thickening agent and can thicken a thin sauce and prevents the brine and blended solid portions from splitting
Thanks I will look into this!

I used a standard jar with a sandwich bag filled with a bit of water. That works to push the solid stuff and keep it below the brine to prevent mould.
The lid is loose enough to allow CO2 to escape

I'm now researching hot sauce recipes...

Any good recipes you can suggest or is it just a case of getting chillis, brine, vinegar and making up the rest?

Don't know yet, my wife is the grower so I'm sure she has some in mind. I'm not into stupendously outrageous heat but I do like a bit of a challenge, are there any you recommend?

No idea I'm afraid, I was hoping you could tell me as I'm keen on giving this a go. acheers.

Back