Fermenter King Chubby

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheyne_brewer

Regular.
Reaction score
I’m looking for a FK chubby, looks like the only UK seller is Brew2Bottle. Not sure if stock levels on their site are up to date. Anyone bought one recently? Messaging them on FB results in an away message but then they aren’t open at weekends.

It says 20 in stock and If you put one in your basket then go to it it doesn't say "out of stock"

bbb.jpg

Hi Dave

I think they’re fab for storing in and using as a keg, but honestly I wouldn’t ferment in them again. They’re a right pain in the ar5ehole to clean! The opening at the top is tiny and to get the crud off the inside I have to use a long plastic spoon, with a micro fibre cloth and an elastic band over it! I had considered one of those spray cleaners but honestly I don’t think it’ll work for the sticky crud / krausen line that’s been sat in the fermenter for two weeks.

They do seal properly though and you can fit the black stainless fittings on the ball locks, as you can’t with those carbonation caps on the fermzilla. Up to you but that’s my view. 😅

Whatever you do don’t get a junior. They’re ****!
I’ve never used one, but another member didn’t seem to rate them, specifically cleaning post fermentation.

I’ve never personally used one, but @Tess Tickle may be able to answer any additional questions.

I own one. They are good. The only issue is cleaning by hand as you can't get your arm in.

However, I just fill with sodium percarbonate leave for overnight soak and its all done.

I own one. They are good. The only issue is cleaning by hand as you can't get your arm in.

However, I just fill with sodium percarbonate leave for overnight soak and its all done.

I find if you do that it leaves a chalky residue and it needs to be wiped off (impossible). Just rinsing with water doesn't remove the residue leading to off-flavours in my experience with it. I try not to leave chemical in for more than 5 minutes now. We are gonna try a keg washer though and see if that helps. Probably not to be fair. It's the remains of the krausen line that I struggle to get perfectly clean.

I find if you do that it leaves a chalky residue and it needs to be wiped off (impossible). Just rinsing with water doesn't remove the residue leading to off-flavours in my experience with it. I try not to leave chemical in for more than 5 minutes now. We are gonna try a keg washer though and see if that helps. Probably not to be fair. It's the remains of the krausen line that I struggle to get perfectly clean.
I have three King Keg snub nose fermenters with the narrow-ish necks, but I use a home made "bucket blaster" which gets them spotless with some percarbonate (including the krausen line). I know that percarbonate can leave deposits when used with hard water, but I have found that some 10% citric acid solution will shift it. I am currently experimenting with adding a small amount of citric acid to the percarbonate solution, as this should neutralise the hardness in the water and prevent the problem - I have not come to a definite conclusion yet.

Not for me. I will partially fill the fermenter after emptying of percarbonate and shake vigorously and empty until clean. Rinse and repeat.

I looked at the chubby but opted for 2 all rounders which are very good and easy to cleanView attachment 71130View attachment 71131
I have had a couple of these, would totally vouch for them. I did not buy another as they were not in stock when I needed them so tried the chubby.

Preference would be all rounder as they also fit in a small under counter fridge unlike the chubby

I have both and found the opposite the chubby is easier to fit in my fridge than the all rounder .
Cleaning the all rounder is definitely better . I use keg drill wand to clean the chubby.
I have been waiting to see the new Apollo before buying either

I have both and found the opposite the chubby is easier to fit in my fridge than the all rounder .
Cleaning the all rounder is definitely better . I use keg drill wand to clean the chubby.
I have been waiting to see the new Apollo before buying either
What size fridge are you fitting the chubby in? Assuming larder or larger?

I’m looking for a FK chubby, looks like the only UK seller is Brew2Bottle. Not sure if stock levels on their site are up to date. Anyone bought one recently? Messaging them on FB results in an away message but then they aren’t open at weekends.
Wait and get the Apollo, more versatile, thicker PET, with the cone less surface area for the yeast to settle, wider opening. If you want it more low profile a keg chime is perfect for accommodating the cone, no straps needed.
001.JPG

Apollo is not yet available in the Uk as far as I can see.

I wanted a slimmer fermenter than my All Rounders to possibly look at fitting two side by side in my ferm fridge and think the FK mini is too small.

Wait and get the Apollo, more versatile, thicker PET, with the cone less surface area for the yeast to settle, wider opening. If you want it more low profile a keg chime is perfect for accommodating the cone, no straps needed.
View attachment 71242
Do you have a crystal ball ?
It would be great if you could give us a date when they will arrive in the UK 🙏

Do you have a crystal ball ?
It would be great if you could give us a date when they will arrive in the UK 🙏
There is a container heading off to Norway shortly, I do know there is a lot of PET products on board, I think Bevy has a ware house there, I will ask tomorrow I am going in to Keg King. When I was there on Monday the boss of Bevy UK was in the shop.

The Chubby arrived as scheduled. Now assembled with some oxi in there. First impression is good, seems sturdy enough and the dip tube float is a big ‘un.

Glad I paid £55 not the eBay £70 though

1657219040515.png

Attachments

• EF4B8D10-7438-4010-A6F1-19560037B66D.jpeg
    EF4B8D10-7438-4010-A6F1-19560037B66D.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
As promised found out more today, the UK shipment of PET vessels shouldn't be to far away they have left Australian shores. The air shipment of Spundy's and Ultra Twist taps should be in the UK now, probably in Bevys warehouse.

As promised found out more today, the UK shipment of PET vessels shouldn't be to far away they have left Australian shores. The air shipment of Spundy's and Ultra Twist taps should be in the UK now, probably in Bevys warehouse.
Thanks for that I'll try to be patient !
The announcement of the partnership with Bevie was back in April so was expecting something a little sooner .🍻

Happy to report that a 24 hour pressure test with 5l sanitiser solution onboard has seen a mere 1-2 psi drop. Winner! Now to get this thing doing some fermentation!

Last edited:
Back