Fermenter King Jr. Vs Corny

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm looking to get a keg setup and was wondering if it's worth getting a fermenter king? They are a lot cheaper than Cornies, although some reconditioned ones are almost the same price. Does anyone have a Fermenter King and can recommend?

I've not had a keg setup before so I'm sure there'll be a lot more questions on the way!

TIA.

dave_77

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't got one. I have a fermzilla allrounder and had been looking at one as a second pressure fermenter ( just like the shape and good value).
I wouldn't get one instead of a keg for storing and serving. Kegs are more robust, no light can get in and last for years. I think most of the plastic fermenters they say need pressure testing after 2 years so potentially they don't have the same life span so I don't think the saving is worth it.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
I haven't got one. I have a fermzilla allrounder and had been looking at one as a second pressure fermenter ( just like the shape and good value).
I wouldn't get one instead of a keg for storing and serving. Kegs are more robust, no light can get in and last for years. I think most of the plastic fermenters they say need pressure testing after 2 years so potentially they don't have the same life span so I don't think the saving is worth it.
This makes sense and is a good point. I was thinking about the clarity of it, whilst the keg would sit in a freezer there's a good chance I'd need to use that freezer for other things at some point and the keg will need to sit out somewhere. Probably worth paying that bit extra in the long run.

Brew2bottle Homebrew

THBF Sponsor.
THBF Sponsor
Reaction score
Hey guys

Just as an FYI we're looking into getting the same size keg as the Junior in silver so it can be used as a keg. Doesn't affect the price too much sadly as it's essentially a Fermenter King Junior in different coloured clothing only but does make it useable for storage ;)

Cheers

Brewnaldo

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have one of the silver ones mentioned above thanks to Brew2Bottle. I really like it. I only use it as a keg tbf, but it performs this function well, is easy to clean and would be easy to ferment in if desired. I have gen 3 fermentasaurus and the FKJ, they compliment eachother well IMO. That's not to say a corny doesn't fulfil the same criteria but I like it.

dave_77

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am interested in junior as a fermenter as the foot print on them means I could have two side by side if I wanted and I generally do 16l batches so they are a good size for me. I have alot of head space in the all rounder, although useful if I wanted to do a bigger batch

foxy

Landlord.
Reaction score
It isn't really much different to using PET bottles, as long as they are kept out of the light you will get a good few years out of them. And remember it is only the body and chime that have to be replaced, probably the cheapest parts. It is a pity that the pre forms couldn't be sent to the UK and blown over there. That would keep the cost low.
004.JPG

Saisonator

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the price difference between a Fermenter King Junior and a top quality reconditioned corny keg is about £25 when you factor in the floating dip tube as an extra for the keg.
I don't think there is any other area in home brewing where stainless steel is so close in price to plastic.
Stainless will last a lifetime and can be repurposed as a serving keg, it even has good resale value.
I can understand people going for the larger plastic vessels because kegs are limited to fermenting 17.5 litres, but when they are almost the same volume I would rather go stainless steel every time.

Brew2bottle Homebrew

THBF Sponsor.
THBF Sponsor
Reaction score
There will also be the 30ltr Chubbys on the next boat over btw... these will retail for between £49.95 and £54.95, it all depends on the cost of shipping which is massively volatile right now and hard to predict, there's a lot of fresh air in a container full of these. It should mean though that the Juniors will be slightly cheaper than they currently are as well because there has been a slight drop in the import duty rate attached to these.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
There will also be the 30ltr Chubbys on the next boat over btw... these will retail for between £49.95 and £54.95, it all depends on the cost of shipping which is massively volatile right now and hard to predict, there's a lot of fresh air in a container full of these. It should mean though that the Juniors will be slightly cheaper than they currently are as well because there has been a slight drop in the import duty rate attached to these.
Do you know when these will be in stock? I was leaning towards cornies but I quite like the larger capacity of these which trumps a lot of the other reservations I had about the FKJ.