Fermenter King Jr. Vs Corny

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm looking to get a keg setup and was wondering if it's worth getting a fermenter king? They are a lot cheaper than Cornies, although some reconditioned ones are almost the same price. Does anyone have a Fermenter King and can recommend?

I've not had a keg setup before so I'm sure there'll be a lot more questions on the way!

TIA.

I haven't got one. I have a fermzilla allrounder and had been looking at one as a second pressure fermenter ( just like the shape and good value).
I wouldn't get one instead of a keg for storing and serving. Kegs are more robust, no light can get in and last for years. I think most of the plastic fermenters they say need pressure testing after 2 years so potentially they don't have the same life span so I don't think the saving is worth it.

I haven't got one. I have a fermzilla allrounder and had been looking at one as a second pressure fermenter ( just like the shape and good value).
I wouldn't get one instead of a keg for storing and serving. Kegs are more robust, no light can get in and last for years. I think most of the plastic fermenters they say need pressure testing after 2 years so potentially they don't have the same life span so I don't think the saving is worth it.
This makes sense and is a good point. I was thinking about the clarity of it, whilst the keg would sit in a freezer there's a good chance I'd need to use that freezer for other things at some point and the keg will need to sit out somewhere. Probably worth paying that bit extra in the long run.

Hey guys

Just as an FYI we're looking into getting the same size keg as the Junior in silver so it can be used as a keg. Doesn't affect the price too much sadly as it's essentially a Fermenter King Junior in different coloured clothing only but does make it useable for storage ;)

Cheers

I have one of the silver ones mentioned above thanks to Brew2Bottle. I really like it. I only use it as a keg tbf, but it performs this function well, is easy to clean and would be easy to ferment in if desired. I have gen 3 fermentasaurus and the FKJ, they compliment eachother well IMO. That's not to say a corny doesn't fulfil the same criteria but I like it.

I am interested in junior as a fermenter as the foot print on them means I could have two side by side if I wanted and I generally do 16l batches so they are a good size for me. I have alot of head space in the all rounder, although useful if I wanted to do a bigger batch

It isn't really much different to using PET bottles, as long as they are kept out of the light you will get a good few years out of them. And remember it is only the body and chime that have to be replaced, probably the cheapest parts. It is a pity that the pre forms couldn't be sent to the UK and blown over there. That would keep the cost low.
004.JPG

So the price difference between a Fermenter King Junior and a top quality reconditioned corny keg is about £25 when you factor in the floating dip tube as an extra for the keg.
I don't think there is any other area in home brewing where stainless steel is so close in price to plastic.
Stainless will last a lifetime and can be repurposed as a serving keg, it even has good resale value.
I can understand people going for the larger plastic vessels because kegs are limited to fermenting 17.5 litres, but when they are almost the same volume I would rather go stainless steel every time.

There will also be the 30ltr Chubbys on the next boat over btw... these will retail for between £49.95 and £54.95, it all depends on the cost of shipping which is massively volatile right now and hard to predict, there's a lot of fresh air in a container full of these. It should mean though that the Juniors will be slightly cheaper than they currently are as well because there has been a slight drop in the import duty rate attached to these.

There will also be the 30ltr Chubbys on the next boat over btw... these will retail for between £49.95 and £54.95, it all depends on the cost of shipping which is massively volatile right now and hard to predict, there's a lot of fresh air in a container full of these. It should mean though that the Juniors will be slightly cheaper than they currently are as well because there has been a slight drop in the import duty rate attached to these.
Do you know when these will be in stock? I was leaning towards cornies but I quite like the larger capacity of these which trumps a lot of the other reservations I had about the FKJ.

We're just finalising the order and then they'll be on a boat... as well as being expensive freight is also very slow right now though so it will be around 6 weeks at a guess.

Anyone got any tips for cleaning the junior king keg. I’ve had it upside down half full with a vpw solution all morning giving it a good shake periodically. but the Krausen won’t budge. The opening is even smaller than a regular keg and the neck makes it impossible to get inside.

Anyone got any tips for cleaning the junior king keg. I’ve had it upside down half full with a vpw solution all morning giving it a good shake periodically. but the Krausen won’t budge. The opening is even smaller than a regular keg and the neck makes it impossible to get inside.
A brush? Sponge fixed to a stick? Probably want something to scrub it a bit. Just remember don't put anything too hot in these else melt down.

The vpw seemed to make it cave in a bit also so didn’t want to leave it. Emptied and rinsed then filled with pbw. I think it’s costing more to clean than buy😁

Gonna leave it overnight.

Last edited:
I use 5L mini kegs with a German made hand pump, which works fine, I usually do 3 gallon batched of various LME, hops and a good quality yeast. This produces very drinkable ales, without the hassle.

Assuming the jfk cleans up by Saturday I’m going to attempting a kolsch in it On Saturday. Made the starter today from wlp029

Best practice seems to be ferment cool at around 14 or 15c, but stalling issues obviously come into play here, so a perfect opportunity to use a fermentation under pressure to avoid the risk.

although lager like it’s an ale yeast so I’m guessing a 10psi rather than 15psi ferment. Any ideas anyone? Will most likely go for 17c or 18c and set pressure from the start for two weeks.

I am not overly concerned about nailing the style as such, as I got sent the yeast by mistake, and I am not a massive fan of the commercial examples I’ve tried or and my only attempt a few years ago. I much prefer drinking a good pils or hells tbh.( although never attempted brewing a lager yet)

4kg bohemian pilsner
500g carapils
150 acid malt

100g HM leaf hops
wlp029 yeast

so a couple of questions

does anyone have any tips on the pressure and temps?

and how do you clear with geletine in a closed system???

Latest posts

Back