Fermenter King Junior - Scary Krausen!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puravida

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi guys
Been a while since I posted here. Fell off the home brew train for a while but back in the game now.
I picked up a fermenter king junior - the idea being to brew and serve from the same vessel for the time being until I pick up another one (out of stock everywhere) but a week after my first brew there seems tobe a crazy amount of krausen foam at the top of the keg and it’s not looking like it will shift.

Anyone got experience of this? I’m planning to cold crash over the next day or two but just can’t see it dropping out.

The floating dip tube draws from the top of the keg and I’m worried every glass will be full of krausen or the pipe is going to get blocked.

E38A9706-7326-4B44-BAB4-A31D3FD9AA99.jpeg

It looks like a lack of headspace to me.

Here’s my snub nose just now

Your first beer from the keg will have yeast in it from the dip tube, after that should be ok. The krausen will sink when you cold crash.

I’ve done two brews so far in my junior king keg. The first one I limited to 15 lites Because I was worried about it so left plenty of room. The second one I put about 16 litres in but fermented under pressure so the Krausen was minimal and is cold crashing now.

Just out of interest what and how much yeast were you using? What volume Did you put in? And what Was the OG?

as long as the disconnect isn’t blocked you should be fine I reckon.

I found it it very hard to clean afterwards though!

I use Astonish (Sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate) for cleaning. It’s been easy.

Thanks guys! Moving it to the fridge today for a few days so fingers crossed it will drop back a bit.

Coming clean, this is my first time trying a Magrove Jack kit. I’ve brewed BIAB all grain for the past decade but just been really pushed for time of late and keen to get back into brewing.

This is the New Zealand pale ale with M44 US West Coast 10g And it started around 1045.

Exact Same yeast I used with my first brew in it. krausen was fine but as I said I left a lot of headspace.

Latest posts

Back