Fermenter King - When to add the spunding valve?3

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thatscold

Reaction score
The first brew in my snub nose is underway. I'm using a blow off tube as an airlock, but I want to naturally carbonate this beer towards the end of fermentation, but I'm unsure when to add the spunding valve?

I brewed on Sunday, from what I've read day 4 is the time to add it. Does this sound right?

As an aside it's fascinating to watch the fermentation process - it's so much more active than I realised.

I dont want to get up on my high horse I dont recommend fermenting under pressure as it can inhibit yeast growth, that might be desirable in some styles of beer that you want to go slower and produce less esters like lagers. I definitely wouldnt put it on during peak fermentation so day 4 probably is ok. Just make sure you dont go above 15psi as you can basically harm the yeast above this level.

Thanks - I’m just looking to naturally carbonate this beer (like the Germans do). I was thinking 10 psi at 20C.

as long as its past peak fermentation and at that pressure you probably are ok, hope it turns out great:beer1:

Latest posts

Back