Fermenter Temperature

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JhnMcK

Reaction score
What would you say is the best way of determining what temperature the wort in your FV is at? Are those temperature strips reliable? Found ones on eBay which are apparently for fish tanks but I guess would work on a FV or is better to just spend more and invest in a digital temperature probe?

What would you say is the best way of determining what temperature the wort in your FV is at? Are those temperature strips reliable? Found ones on eBay which are apparently for fish tanks but I guess would work on a FV or is better to just spend more and invest in a digital temperature probe?

The temperature strips will tell you the ambient temp as much as the wort temp, I would guess. A probe would give a more accurate measure, for sure, but unless you have temp control, what do you do with it?

My guess is that the temp advice is based on the air temps anyway, so if you are determined to invest, I suggest going down the "fridge" route to temp control. Not done it myself, due to space constraints, but I've done enough brewing to know that fermentation temperature is second only to hygiene in terms of importance to outcomes.

I have had a brew or turbo cider in the loft this time of year worked a treat needs to be above 60 f easy this time of year .

I want to build a fermentation fridge so I can properly control the fermentation. The only problem I have is space constraints. There's no real space for me to put another fridge in the house. I know it wouldn't be too expensive to do, it's just finding somewhere to put it. I have a stout on at the minute and the place where it is fluctuates in temperature, it's gone off like a rocket for the first two days and now it's started to slow down. I'm just worry that it's slowed because of the temperature but it's not freezing cold, I'd say the room fluctuates between 16-20c. But, the instructions say to check the gravity after 4-6 days. The airlock hardly bubbles but I know that doesn't mean anything because I can tell it's still fermenting as the bucket has expanded.

Latest posts

Back