Fermenter to keg transfer.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure how many corny you have, but you can ferment in a corny too - just did a pressurised lager in there - 2 weeks from brew day to pint - is lovely! Just need a floating dip tube. Very easy to swap out and cheap. Though I'm tempted by a replacement lid with the floating tube built in now.
£12.48 | Corny lid Floating Kit
https://a.aliexpress.com/_uf9LzR
I'll def be using your method for the next non-pressurised beer I do though, great idea!
I have 5 cornies and also have a floating diptube which I got about 2 years ago and forgot I had it and would need to get a sounding valve to give it a try sometime.

Not sure how many corny you have, but you can ferment in a corny too - just did a pressurised lager in there - 2 weeks from brew day to pint - is lovely! Just need a floating dip tube. Very easy to swap out and cheap. Though I'm tempted by a replacement lid with the floating tube built in now.
£12.48 | Corny lid Floating Kit
https://a.aliexpress.com/_uf9LzR
I'll def be using your method for the next non-pressurised beer I do though, great idea!
I got one of these recently and fitted to my corny yesterday ready to use and was dissapointed. Tried it out with water, and there were at least 4 pints left in the bottom as the tube rested on to of the floting part. I've seen people say the trick is to do something with a stainless steel washer to weight the tube part down. I put the original dip tube straight back in there. To be honest, on principle, if I buy something I excpect it to work without additional hacks needed - that's why I don't use PBs :coat:

Surely a little shake of the keg would sort that out? Although I am in agreement that something like that shouldn't be necessary. You could always try a caskwidge float but you will encounter the same problem with leftover beer. So long as you do a clean transfer, the standard dip tube will work just fine.

Surely a little shake of the keg would sort that out? Although I am in agreement that something like that shouldn't be necessary. You could always try a caskwidge float but you will encounter the same problem with leftover beer. So long as you do a clean transfer, the standard dip tube will work just fine.
Thanks athumb.. My Keezer is in the cuboard uner the stairs, with a shelf directly above and a cod stand in front, so can only just squeeze in to pour a pint - unfortunately I am unable to easily give the keg a shake :(
Like you say, with a clean transfer the regular dip tube is fine.
I originally bought the float to get free shipping on my order, so I'll keep it untill I have the time to make it work.

Thanks athumb.. My Keezer is in the cuboard uner the stairs, with a shelf directly above and a cod stand in front, so can only just squeeze in to pour a pint - unfortunately I am unable to easily give the keg a shake :(
Like you say, with a clean transfer the regular dip tube is fine.
I originally bought the float to get free shipping on my order, so I'll keep it untill I have the time to make it work.
I have found mine handy since I ferment in a corny. I swapped out the SS pick-up nozzle for a meshed one. Worked a treat ever since. I found it unnecessary in a serving keg.

I weigh my kegs when closed transfering my beer out of the f.v
Mine weigh 3 and half stone on my bathroom scales when full just below the gas in post. Checked it open with water to find out the full weight.

Latest posts

Back