Fermenting and oxidisation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowman

Reaction score
Evening all. 12 days ago I brewed 4, 1 gallon batches and fermented with WLP 004 Irish ale yeast and made a starter that morning. I measured the gravity at 10 days, 1 had reached its fg and the others were up to 11 points off and throughout I haven't seen any krausen form whatsoever and the batch I've just bottled, dry stout and my Scottish 60 /- smell vinegary. So my long winded question is can it oxidise that quickly and during fermention? I have stored them a few times due to thinking the fermention was stuck and I dont think its an infection.

If your beer is vinegary after only 10 days it would imply contaminated yeast to me. Was it a fresh pack of yeast? I have had stout yeast finish very high a number of times in the past but making vinegar is a generally a slow process. What did you ferment in and did you control the temp at all. Do you taste your starters before you pitch? I have used yeast contaminated with acetobacter without realising and had to dump the beer.

It was a new pack of yeast and I've never used liquid yeast before. No I didn't try it. Im now making q yeast cake out of the one that I bottled so I'll try that once its got going. I've got a heat belt but I don't have a controller at the moment so it is quite variable. I'm using 2 5 gallon buckets and 2 2 gallon buckets which are new and have sanitised.

Here's a picture of the yeast cake after adding water and sugar at 12 hours. Do you reckon its infected?

Attachments

• IMG_20191224_051832.jpg
    IMG_20191224_051832.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 197
I thought it did. Its possible but I've never had that smell before on my previous brews

if you get a build up of Co2 in the top of the fermenter as Cmrw says it is very keen and can burn the hairs off the inside of your nose metaphorically, it is a possibility that is what you have smelled.
Taste test will tell if alls ok, good luck

Ahh I see. The bit of stout tasted okay out of the hydrometer vial before bottling. I was just panicking that 4 gallon would be thrown away. Is there anything that can be done about this?

Yep,I've had the sharp c02 blast off the top of the fv ..my initial thoughts were infected but after asking on here for advice all was good!

An update on the beers. I was going to bottle the other 3 but on tasting them I just couldn't do it and they had to be chuckedsick...

Latest posts

Back