Fermenting Bucket tap thread size

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidHatton

Reaction score
Just wanted to ask for some feedback regarding tap thread size, bought a fermenting bucket online and by mistake I asked for it to be drilled, the bucket came drilled with a 29mm hole and all my taps are too small to create a safe seal, all my tap threads are 25mm diameter.
Contacted the seller and they sent a replacement, as I asked for it undrilled they still sent it drilled and drilled with the same size hole again 29mm diameter.

I am I in possesion of unusually small taps or are the buckets drilled badly?

Thanks in advance

Did they specify it would be for 25mm taps?

I have a few taps that are all different sizes ranging from 21mm-26.5mm

Either you or the supplier should specify the size of hole. If one or both of you has not then it's a lottery what you'll get.

Are you sure it was not stated in the original order what size to drill the hole?

You could always use oversize washers with silicone seals, but the taps will be difficult to keep in place and leak free.

Either you or the supplier should specify the size of hole. If one or both of you has not then it's a lottery what you'll get.

Are you sure it was not stated in the original order what size to drill the hole?

You could always use oversize washers with silicone seals, but the taps will be difficult to keep in place and leak free.
True, no it doesn't state hole size, and if it did I think 29mm hole would cause people alot of issues sealing the bucket. I normally just buy them undrilled, but for them to replace it with a bucket with the same hole size of 29mm, even when I told them all my taps are 25mm, and especially when I asked for the replacement to be undrilled. I can appreciate the comedy factor as its just a £5 bucket, :laugh8: tried the first one with ss washers and at 15 litres it had a slow leak. Will just put some gaffer tape on them and use them for collecting the cooling water...

You may get away with using two tap washers - one inside, and one outside.
I think I have some spares, let me know if you need some...

Back