Fermenting fridge - drilling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giraffe

Reaction score
I have started making my fermenting fridge, built a little platform to sit in the bottom to level out the hump at the back. Bought a 40w Dimplex tube heater, problem is the cable is quite thick and the door doesn't shut properly with the cable coming out round the door. I am currently mulling the idea of drilling a hole in the side and cutting the heater cable and posting through. I assume others have had this issue, are there any other options anyone can think of?

+1 for the drainage hole. Just had to ream the one in my fridge out, by hand, with an ever so slightly bigger drill bit, that I just twisted round a few times. The cable then fitted through without any problems.

Managed to get my cables through the fridge floor on both my fridges as they were both only plastic. I used the drain holes for the thermostats.

Thanks, looks like I can get it through the drain hole if I expand it a bit. Was hoping to get the thermometer probe in as well.

I have both the thermometer probe and the heater cable going through the drainage hole. Think I drilled it out to about 8mm which wasn't a problem - it was just plastic and polystyrene. Keeps it neat.

I guess all fridges are slightly different but I got the heater cable and the wire to the temperature probe comfortably through the drainage hole at the back without the need for any drilling. It all works like a dream.

Latest posts

Back