Fermenting lagers outdoors?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlentoranMark

Landlord.
Reaction score
When our main fridge packed in several months ago, my brew fridge was requisitioned to store our food (who needs to eat?) I still haven't rustled up the funds for a new fridge as something (like my Son's wedding) always seems to get in the way.

I do love a good dark lager but don't have the temperatures to brew one.

Now were having a prolonged cold snap, has anyone brewed a lager outdoors? I know the temperature differences can vary vastly from -2° to +10° but is that too cold? And will the temperature differences affect the beer?

Even with the minus temperatures I could cover the beer and insulate it. I don't think freezing would be an issue.

I'm thinking of doing this over the Christmas period if the temperatures stay low enough (<15°)

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
The air temperature is the one that varies wildly from day-to-day and day-to-night whereas the ground temperature takes weeks to warm up or cool down.

In view of this, placing the FV on the ground and then insulating it from the air will give a relatively steady temperature.

If the temperature of your ground is at or higher than the lowest fermenting temperature of the yeast then you will get a decent fermentation.

The Saflager S-23 lager yeast will work down to 9 degrees.

https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/saflager-s-23-beer-yeast-115g

I would look for a patch of ground that won't get disturbed somewhere up against the house.

Enjoy. :thumb:

Until you get your brewfridge why not set up a water bath? It will cost you just over a tenner.
You can brew ales ales year round, and lagers in the colder months, provided you have a cold place like a garage.
And when you get your new brewfridge, you can use the trug for the garden or laundry, and the fish tank heater for your new hobby.... aquatics :whistle:
How to Set up a Water Bath for your FV - The HomeBrew Forum

I could pick up a fridge on Freecycle or something really cheap on Gumtree but my last fridge took up too much space in the kitchen.

I've plans for an 8x6 brew shed next year into which will go a brew fridge but I've nowhere to store the water bath outdoors atm. It's a great idea though.

I fermented a lager in my shed last week using danstar's diamond lager yeast. It was usually around 5-10 degrees C and i had to bring it in for its diacetyl rest and not let it get oo cold. Probably tomorrow afternoon i'll put it back there for it to lager, if i remember i'll post on thread how it went that is in may or june 2018!

I have been cold crashing in this weather and it's been working a treat, it just got me thinking about trying a lager. I'll probably have a go at this over the XMas period maybe trying a Czech Black Lager.

Back