Fermenting under pressure

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S.R.S

Reaction score
Hi All, would anyone know the optimum psi to ferment under pressure in a corny keg for Mangrove Jack's M44 US West Coast yeast and at what point of fermentation should pressure be applied?
Many thanks

Are you looking to carbonate?

General practice I've read and practiced is to let the yeast do its thing with no pressure to start with allowing and promoting growth. Do add the spunding valve to a max pressure of 15psi. This as a general rule shouldn't cause any noticeable yeast stress.

Let it go.

Then toward the end of fermentation change spund to correct psi dependant on temperature. Using standard carbonation charts

Interested in this. If fermenting and carbonating by Natural pressure what’s the typical psi you can carbonate up to? Say you put 15 litres of wort in what will be a 5% beer in a 19l corny, what’s the max psi you could get to In its own steam.

Natural pressure what’s the typical psi you can carbonate up to?
Do you mean volumes of co2? Theory as much as the yeast will continue working for.

Say you put 15 litres of wort in what will be a 5% beer in a 19l corny, what’s the max psi you could get to In its own steam.
Same as above really. Assuming you are fermenting in the corny keg with a spunding valve

I use this chart for working out psi / temperature for co2 vols

http://jollygoodbeer.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/JollyGoodBeer_PSI_Chart_for_CO2.pdf

Attachments

• JollyGoodBeer_PSI_Chart_for_CO2 (1).pdf
    330 KB · Views: 137
I imagine 30 Psi at room temps would be enough over a couple of weeks If it was constant but I imagine that will drop as it’s absorbed back in. Just trying to figure out if you can get decent carbonation this way. Eg 2.2 volume and above.

Are you looking to carbonate?

General practice I've read and practiced is to let the yeast do its thing with no pressure to start with allowing and promoting growth. Do add the spunding valve to a max pressure of 15psi. This as a general rule shouldn't cause any noticeable yeast stress.

Let it go.

Then toward the end of fermentation change spund to correct psi dependant on temperature. Using standard carbonation charts
Hi, the main reason for doing it is to mitigate 02. I am brewing a hoppy IPA and want to retain as much of the dry hops taste and aroma as possible.
I had actually applied pressure at 10psi from the beginning . SG has dropped from 1.047 to 1.024 in 3 days at constant 20c.
I have tried this before and tend to cold crash the corny whilst applying enough psi to top up carbonation to get it right.
Perhaps next time I wont apply any pressure to start and then apply later.

Latest posts

Back