Fermenting under pressure

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No grassy or woody tastes from the extra time?
It's only been 4 days actually so not too long.
No grassy/woody flavours and didn't leave much behind
20210415_174316.jpg

First taste. sampled my cascade/ centinial Ipa last night which was my first brew under pressure. No dry hop so completely closed and transferred into a purged keg.

all good, very clean and gentle aroma, good mouthfeel and flavour but it finishes much more bitter than usual for this regular brew of mine. Two weeks in junior king keg, cold crashed two days, then kegged 10 days carbing at 8c

can fermenting under pressure increase bitterness or should I be looking elsewhere for an explanation.

@dan125
I'm a bit puzzled by your picture of the empty bottle and all of the yeast and hop residue above and a near empty FS. Why have you not dropped them into the bottle and got rid of them after the dry hop time before the transfer?

@dan125
I'm a bit puzzled by your picture of the empty bottle and all of the yeast and hop residue above and a near empty FS. Why have you not dropped them into the bottle and got rid of them after the dry hop time before the transfer?
I removed one bottle of yeasty trub, then sealed the plunger before dry hopping.
Transfer was done straight after 4 days dry hopping so not much to gain from dropping the hops into the bottle before the transfer, but this would increase the chance of O2 getting in (the bottles aren't easy to purge effectively) and the the bubbles rising up would disturb the settled gloop.
🍻

@dan125
I see. I try and drop the hops and trub out, I put the plunger down to seal off as you've done, then take bottle off clean it all up and then purge bottle with CO2 and then fill with beer via party tap on the top of the FS. This is mostly foam and then put the bottle back on with the foam to the top so don't really let any air in. Yes it does bubble up but as I'm conditioning and closed transfer under pressure not much time is lost and I get less transfer into the keg.
What I do find a real pain with the gen 3 is that pulling the plunger up with the pressure in fermenter is very hard, and sometimes I have to vent CO2 to allow me to pull the plug. This was not a problem I had with the butterfly valves on the gen 1 and gen 2.
Upgrading the Gen 1 to gen 3 was also very fiddly dremelling out the base of the fermentasaurus to fit the bigger plunger, not something I look forward to doing again.

I do tend to use magnets and bags for the dry hopping now as the whole system can stay sealed from the moment of pitching until I clean up after transfer. The bags can be put in when needed and also raised out once dry hop done to drain, this way I'm basically just removing yeast via the bottles.

Latest posts

Back