Fermenting under pressure

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan get the chop sticks ready, to help them hops thro the hole :laugh8:

Let me know how it goes, im waiting on the gen 3 snub nose.

How big is the hole?
Can't be more than 20mm.
But the bottle came off and the plunger seated without any problems 👍
20210410_160244.jpg

200g dry hop in through the port via this little home made funnel. It got clogged a couple of times when I tried to go too quick but overall better than expected.
acheers.
20210411_200734.jpg

For the first dry hop at high krausen, think i will still open the lid and just pour the hops in.For the 2nd dh certainly will give the the port a try when my gen 3 arrives.

For the first dry hop at high krausen, think i will still open the lid and just pour the hops in.For the 2nd dh certainly will give the the port a try when my gen 3 arrives.
It's not easy to lift the lid...it seals differently to the the gen 1and 2 and its just not possible with the plunger down.... but not sure how this works in a snub nose

Cold crash pressure drop. ive cold crashed down to just under 1c from 18c, and the psi has dropped from 11 or 12 Psi down to about 3?
i was expecting to lose a few points but that seems excessive? Or is that expected?

Cold crash pressure drop. ive cold crashed down to just under 1c from 18c, and the psi has dropped from 11 or 12 Psi down to about 3?
i was expecting to lose a few points but that seems excessive? Or is that expected?
I guess it depends on your batch volume and so head space above the beer. A higher batch volume will drop the pressure more as more CO2 will be dissolved into the beer.
I guess I probably normally see around 5psi drop so 8 doesn't sound that excessive, but maybe a bit more than I'd expect, especially from 18degc

cheers all, i was expecting it to drop to around 6 or 7 going by carbonation charts. Going to keg it tonight anyway and carbonate in the usual way. im Guessing at that low pressure i wont need to worry about balancing the pressure in the receiving keg, just let it push through and release it as need be.

If you are at 3psi you might need to add additional co2 to get it all across, unless you are closed transferring?
100% you will need additional co2 while doing closed transfer, the fv will need a constant supply of co2 to push the beer out and into the keg.

Up to now ive done gravity transfers from my brewbucket spigot to the liquid post on keg with no problems (these days at least)

obviously that’s not 100 per cent closed because air is coming in the top, so this will be my first proper closed transfer so looking forward to it, but gravity will still be helping out.

Can connect the two gas in posts and equalise the pressure. Then let gravity do the work. Takes longer but saves CO2

I was just to go liquid to liquid and let the small amount of pressure and then gravity the work. If the pressure is that low carbonation must be too so shouldnt be any foaming issues.

My biggest concern may all the Krausen that’s still hanging around and could be a blockage concern!

Latest posts

Back