Fermenting under pressure

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably 1 pack too many, but I have lots. It says 75g per 100L so 3 packs would have been enough I guess.

It would have been double pitch rate at 12C so that would have been 6 packs minimum!

I should get 2 full 19L cornies - so I hope it's nice!

Probably 1 pack too many, but I have lots. It says 75g per 100L so 3 packs would have been enough I guess.

It would have been double pitch rate at 12C so that would have been 6 packs minimum!

I should get 2 full 19L cornies - so I hope it's nice!

Might be stating the obvious but the lads at CML told me it does benefit from a good lagering if brewed warm.

That said I have never discussed it under the context of using pressure with them. My last lager was brewed under pressure with CML hell and turned out really good.

Might be stating the obvious but the lads at CML told me it does benefit from a good lagering if brewed warm.

That said I have never discussed it under the context of using pressure with them. My last lager was brewed under pressure with CML hell and turned out really good.

That's good to know.

One of the benefits of brewing double batches is by the time the first keg is empty the second has had a decent length of time to condition!

I went through a stage of getting a horrible vegetal taste in all my beers .... eventually figured out it was from DHing cold, and never had it again since only dropping to 10c in the FV.
I know its not a problem Hoddy suffers from so was just interested to know his process.
Must have been something else I was doing 🤷‍♂️

ive had issues with veggy tastes from dry hopping too, so have avoided cold crashing with hops still in there. not sure of the best way round it though.

ive had issues with veggy tastes from dry hopping too, so have avoided cold crashing with hops still in there. not sure of the best way round it though.
I've been dry hopping right at the tail end of fermentation and then 'soft crashing' to around 10C. I've not been getting any veg off tastes but also don't think I'm getting as big a bang for my buck as I should be from the dry hops

First lager attempt under pressure at 20C. Brewed yesterday - currently sat at 17 PSI. 40L with 4 packs of CML Hells.
View attachment 44672
How are you finding the Gen3 fermenter?
Using mine for the first time at the moment, but whilst checking/pressure testing it I couldn't get the plunger to seat properly when there was liquid in it - seemingly because you have to break the laws of physics and compress the liquid by a few mm to get the plunger down!
Has it worked OK for you?

Using mine for the first time at the moment, but whilst checking/pressure testing it I couldn't get the plunger to seat properly when there was liquid in it - seemingly because you have to break the laws of physics and compress the liquid by a few mm to get the plunger down!
The trick to this is quite simple physics. Just gently squeeze the plastic collection bottle and then the plunger can easily be settled down to make a proper seal.

Why the need to do this? It seems the plunger is more trouble than it's worth
Well compared to a butterfly valve it seals a lot better and also offers an uninterrupted orifice to let trub and yeast slide out. Hell of a lot easier to clean than a butterfly valve also. If you don't need a valve and collection bottle just go for the snubnose version.

The trick to this is quite simple physics. Just gently squeeze the plastic collection bottle and then the plunger can easily be settled down to make a proper seal.
Hadn't thought of that 👍 does seem a bit of a shame to have to, but an easy enough work around.

Hadn't thought of that 👍 does seem a bit of a shame to have to, but an easy enough work around.
Well it works well with a flexible collection bottle and its using physics in our favour. Makes the valve a really simple thing and you can chuck it in the dish washer. Of course the valve stem becomes your thermowell and the retention column for the float. So a lot of benefits and few drawbacks.

Well compared to a butterfly valve it seals a lot better and also offers an uninterrupted orifice to let trub and yeast slide out.
That's what I'm hoping.
I like the thermowell feature but have noticed bigger temp swings than when the probe was taped on the outside. Are there any tricks to avoid this?
I'd quite like to try the triclover adapter with a valve and bend to make a proper yeast dump - is there a max recommended weight to hang off the adapter, as a 2" stainless valve is pretty heavy?

Mine is the Snubnose so no problem there.

I like the thermowell feature but have noticed bigger temp swings than when the probe was taped on the outside.

Not had this problem. If anything I would say it's more consistent with a higher volume of liquid and the temperature measured from the thermowell.
chart.PNG

I've been dry hopping right at the tail end of fermentation and then 'soft crashing' to around 10C. I've not been getting any veg off tastes but also don't think I'm getting as big a bang for my buck as I should be from the dry hops

i actually stoped dry hopping for a while and noticed the woody flavour go. i Used to dry hop after two weeks for a few days before transfer. I’ve just started dry hopping again closer to fermentation end but as I don’t want to dig them out again it means I rack earlier than I used too, about after 11 days now. Seems to have helped but I also think it’s down to hop Type Mosaic seems to be best

That's what I'm hoping.
I like the thermowell feature but have noticed bigger temp swings than when the probe was taped on the outside. Are there any tricks to avoid this?
I'd quite like to try the triclover adapter with a valve and bend to make a proper yeast dump - is there a max recommended weight to hang off the adapter, as a 2" stainless valve is pretty heavy?
Getting the temperature in the middle of the beer is a more reflection of what is going on and avoids the thermal lag and inaccuracy of measuring the tank wall temperature. The probe temp ends up being dictated by whatever heat movement is going on between the tamnk and the outside world.

Regarding the tri-clover some of the valves can be quite heavy so you might need to work carefully with this. We are looking at providing a stronger version due to the feedback from people like yourself.

Regarding the tri-clover some of the valves can be quite heavy so you might need to work carefully with this. We are looking at providing a stronger version due to the feedback from people like yourself.

Great. Will it be available as a spare? And do you know when any of the CIP kits or temp control kits will be available in the UK?
acheers.

Having just read all 8 pages, this thread will defo influence my process going forward.

I wonder what the effect of negative 5psi would be on the easters. Do people at high altitude get improved flavour?
1617864180135.png

10, 000ft brewday anyone?

Well the yeast certainly settles into the bottle well on the gen3... nearly ready to take the plung.
Then there's just the challenge of getting 200g through the dry hop port - i think a customised funnel will be needed
20210409_170618.jpg

Latest posts

Back