Fermenting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinB

Reaction score
Just made from recipe Hoppy Cream Ale... it seems to be done fermenting after4 days , @ 20c, do I barrel it now ?. or wait a while ? Am never too sure on these fermenting times ?

You wrote that it "seems to be done fermenting". That's a piece of information which is extremely important. Did you use a hydrometer before and after? Kegging, a few points too soon might not be big a deal but it is with bottling. I don't keg so I can't offer advice on that.
As you've seen, you will get a wide variety of answers to fermentation time (I do three weeks). There is no set answer. I tend to do bigger beers (high ABV). I could probably do two weeks.
Hope this no-commitment answer helps!

You wrote that it "seems to be done fermenting". That's a piece of information which is extremely important. Did you use a hydrometer before and after? Kegging, a few points too soon might not be big a deal but it is with bottling. I don't keg so I can't offer advice on that.
As you've seen, you will get a wide variety of answers to fermentation time (I do three weeks). There is no set answer. I tend to do bigger beers (high ABV). I could probably do two weeks.
Hope this no-commitment answer helps!
No I havent used the hydrometer...

No I havent used the hydrometer...

I would if I was you. If you havent got one go to wilko and buy one for a couple of quid. It's the only really way to tell if you're brew has finished (and hasnt stuck or something)

People have mentioned giving it two week so the yeast can 'clean up'. I'd also add this gives time for the yeast to drop out of suspension. Some yeasts are very flocculent and drop like a stone giving you clear beer quickly. Others are less flocculant and can take longer. Giving it this extra time will allow you to have less yeast in the bottle when it comes to bottling time (if you're bottling rather than using a keg)
You can also get something called 'yeast bite' if you package to early. This is when their's lots of yeast in suspention giving the beer a nasty bitter edge, rather than a smooth bitterness you get from hops

Well have finished me beer .. its about done secondary ferment before kegging.. have tasted it , and is very surprising , in a good way .. going to be nice and smooth I reckon .. has a slight bitter after taste which I hope will maybe go after a while in the keg... lookin good.

Back