Fermentors.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

Reaction score
I've never been convinced by this business about scratches. My plastic buckets are decades old, scratched to buggery and area are coated with a fine film of beer stone, which Five Star B S Remover (aptly named) has failed to touch. I don't get infected beer. I clean with dilute bleach, which removes any biofilm as well, and then store with MBS solution. Not that they're empty for very long. Are we supposed to believe that SS doesn't scratch? That the interior surface, which isn't polished, can't harbour microbes, too? I don't buy it. Moreover, I understand that we shouldn't use bleach on SS anyway. Nope, on a commercial scale, where the fermenters are steam cleaned, maybe, but in the meantime I'll stick to plastic or maybe go back to slate squares.
You are right about Five Star BS Remover - a complete waste of time and money. Over the years I have had more contamination from stainless steel fermentation equipment than from plastic. The worst offenders were SS full bore ball valves on some GF SS fermenters I had. I am happy with my KL All rounders which I clean with Oxyclean in a bucket blaster - nothing to cause scratches and no hiding places for nasties.

DCBC

Reaction score
FWIW I had the same initial reaction to Five Star BS Remover. I was really excited about what it could do but its first application did almost nothing even with lots of scrubbing.

So I went back to the internet to research and came across this piece.

What it recommends in short is to still use a blend of phosphoric and nitric acid first. BS remover is, as I understand it, a blend of nitric, phosphoric, and sulphuric acids, so it fits the bill. But it may not be effective on its own - it helps to soften, break down and separate the organic and inorganic components of the beer stone. You then drain and dump the BS remover without rinsing and then do a PBW step (up to 50g for every 4 litres). The idea is that the PBW then removes the organic component of the scale, the bit that helps make the scale so stubborn as part of an organic/inorganic matrix, leaving the hard inorganic part of the scale detached and loose - easy to wipe or wash away.

I tried the above approach on my BK and it really did work. I needed to do a bit of gentle scrubbing on the heating elements but the scale came off in chunks using this approach. It was really surprising considering how little BS remover did on its own the first time I tried it.

If anyone gives this a go, I'd be really interested to know if it changes your opinion on BS Remover as a product. What I would say is that it seems to be marketed as being an all-in-one product, and from my experience and those of some other people on this forum it simply doesn't work in that way. But coupled with a cleaner that most of us have in the brewery anyway, I think it can be very effective.

Last edited:
Reaction score
FWIW I had the same initial reaction to Five Star BS Remover. I was really excited about what it could do but its first application did almost nothing even with lots of scrubbing.

So I went back to the internet to research and came across this piece.

What it recommends in short is to still use a blend of phosphoric and nitric acid first. BS remover is, as I understand it, a blend of nitric, phosphoric, and sulphuric acids, so it fits the bill. But it may not be effective on its own - it helps to soften, break down and separate the organic and inorganic components of the beer stone. You then drain and dump the BS remover without rinsing and then do a PBW step (up to 50g for every 4 litres). The idea is that the PBW then removes the organic component of the scale, the bit that helps make the scale so stubborn as part of an organic/inorganic matrix, leaving the hard inorganic part of the scale detached and loose - easy to wipe or wash away.

I tried the above approach on my BK and it really did work. I needed to do a bit of gentle scrubbing on the heating elements but the scale came off in chunks using this approach. It was really surprising considering how little BS remover did on its own the first time I tried it.

If anyone gives this a go, I'd be really interested to know if it changes your opinion on BS Remover as a product. What I would say is that it seems to be marketed as being an all-in-one product, and from my experience and those of some other people on this forum it simply doesn't work in that way. But coupled with a cleaner that most of us have in the brewery anyway, I think it can be very effective.
Very helpful - thanks for sharing that athumb..

lancon

Regular.
Reaction score
If beerstone is what was on the inside of my plastic fermenting buckets, then it seems AMS/CRS removes it. Tried loads of things over the years, put about 100ml? wiped it around to make sure it had gone on all sides. , left for few hours, filled with water, left again, rinsed out next day. Timings were purely due to other things I were doing, could be much quicker.

Latest posts