Fermentors.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If only they did a smaller Fermzilla Gen2 with the dump valve and a tap instead of the floating ball thing. I'd love a high quality, clear, sub 20L conical.

tenor.gif

My issue with switching to stainless steel is temperature control, as while I would possibly find one to fit inside my brew fridge, that would mean selecting on size not features. Realistically switching to SS means also investing in a glycol chiller/heating setup, or water pump with a jacketed fermenter. Either way at domestic homebrew scale I just can't see how I can make it work. Now with a bigger set up yes, fine.

I keep trying to justify SS fermenters, as plastic ones don't seem to last for long in my hands but I can never find ones that would it in my brew fridges.

Perhaps just a stainless steel stockpot/saucepan? I've never been overly concerned with having a hermetically-sealed FV (the fridge is clean and sprayed with starsan and the door closed, so only so much that's going to get into the FV) so would be happy with a loose-fitting lid.

I have looked at those, as like you, I'm not that concerned about a sealed lid but they often tend to be a bit wide rather than tall, so wouldn't fit in my fridges. But I'll keep looking!

I know what you mean. My brew fridge seems to have unnecessarily small internal dimensions and with the side handles and top handle, there's only one orientation that works and allows me to close the door. Annoying thing is, I don't actually remember what that is exactly so every time I put the bucket back, there's a bit of trial and error going on! If I had a bigger fridge, I'd definitely get a SS pot.

Initially I used these. I did alter the seal and pressure tested on to 40 PSI unfortunately the force on the lid made it impossible to remove. But they would have been fine on low pressure.
001.JPG
Fermented under pressure in a cube, they can hold a fair bit of pressure the concave piece underneath tends to blow out I think that is part of the design, not just for stacking but for any chemicals which may become unstable.
001.JPG
Had the Snub nose but now have the Apollo which I am very comfortable with. Still can collect the yeast, see what is going on inside easily and it is thicker and robust. I did cold crash with the lid on and the vacuum did suck in the body but after the cold crash I just popped the body back out again.
001.JPG

Great replies again. Not fully convinced about pressure fermenting, I can see the advantage of raising the pressure at the end, or towards the end of fermentation to kick start both the transfer and natural carbonation.
Foxy, I see you are from Oz, I had a look for those Apollo's on Kegland's own forum, Aussie Home Brewer but couldn't find them in their Q&A?
Are they still available? I generally brew 21-23 litre batches so they seem about the right size with enough head space for my brews.

Hi All,

I bought a kit from Northern brewer about 8 years ago, a 30L fermenter with a lid that it takes two people to remove, with an air lock, the kit included a bottling bucket, plastic bottles and a kit. The fermenter has never let me down, I use the bottling bucket to rest my ale with gelatine finings. I have a conical fermenter that I could not get on with.

Happy brewing and drinking of course

I had a look for those Apollo's on Kegland's own forum, Aussie Home Brewer but couldn't find them in their Q&A?
Are they still available? I generally brew 21-23 litre batches so they seem about the right size with enough head space for my brews.
The Apollo is made by Keg King not Kegland.

They aren’t available in the U.K. yet. Brew2Bottle are the only official KK stockists and there’s rumours about their future (Brew2Bottle being wound up) but I would assume if they do go under KK will manage to link in with another U.K. supplier.

The Apollo is made by Keg King not Kegland.

They aren’t available in the U.K. yet. Brew2Bottle are the only official KK stockists and there’s rumours about their future (Brew2Bottle being wound up) but I would assume if they do go under KK will manage to link in with another U.K. supplier.
I do like the look of them, would really suit my batches. I will search for Keg King. Thanks.

I do like the look of them, would really suit my batches. I will search for Keg King. Thanks.
Yeah I’m torn between the Apollo and the new Fermzilla with Tri-clover fittings.

Apollo having the advantage of not being made in China because I’m (probably unsuccessfully) trying not to deliberately buy Chinese goods while they are sympathising with Russia. It’s also thicker plastic (which I assume means higher heat tolerance but I need to look into that) but the Fermzillla has all the gadgets.

Yeah I’m torn between the Apollo and the new Fermzilla with Tri-clover fittings.

Apollo having the advantage of not being made in China because I’m (probably unsuccessfully) trying not to deliberately buy Chinese goods while they are sympathising with Russia. It’s also thicker plastic (which I assume means higher heat tolerance but I need to look into that) but the Fermzillla has all the gadgets.
Not after gadgets, just something that fits the requirements. Gadgets cost money. I am not into brewing to be led down the garden path. I am into brewing to lift my game from mediocre, if I am mediocre, to another level.
A reliable fermenter will be part of that 'lift'

I have a stainless steel FV, Fermentasauraus, I've also used a FastFerment, but I think I've now come full circle to plastic buckets with a tap. I don't pressure ferment that much and really could live without it. SS is nice but I think the options we get here are kind of small or expensive. The FastFerment broke way too quickly. Plastic works well. Every so often, after the boil, I drain the wort straight into the bucket before cooling and leave for 10 mins to heat sanitise, then cool down.

I have a stainless steel FV, Fermentasauraus, I've also used a FastFerment, but I think I've now come full circle to plastic buckets with a tap. I don't pressure ferment that much and really could live without it. SS is nice but I think the options we get here are kind of small or expensive. The FastFerment broke way too quickly. Plastic works well. Every so often, after the boil, I drain the wort straight into the bucket before cooling and leave for 10 mins to heat sanitise, then cool down.
Do you find you get much more sediment in your bucket cooling this way?
I'm aware if you do it doesn't adversely impact the quality of the beer, and indeed many brewers pour the whole lot in anyway.
I agree that you can brew perfectly good beer in plastic buckets. Only thing you can't do is pressure ferment (after learning yesterday that closed transfers are possible).

Do you find you get much more sediment in your bucket cooling this way?
I'm aware if you do it doesn't adversely impact the quality of the beer, and indeed many brewers pour the whole lot in anyway.
I agree that you can brew perfectly good beer in plastic buckets. Only thing you can't do is pressure ferment (after learning yesterday that closed transfers are possible).
I've not really noticed TBH. I can always cold crash as well which helps compact trub. I tend not to save the yeast from those batches either.

When I made cider in November I ran out of glass demijohns and put 25 litres of juice in my Fermzilla and it's been tied up ever since. I can't say I've missed pressure fermenting.

Great replies again. Not fully convinced about pressure fermenting, I can see the advantage of raising the pressure at the end, or towards the end of fermentation to kick start both the transfer and natural carbonation.
Foxy, I see you are from Oz, I had a look for those Apollo's on Kegland's own forum, Aussie Home Brewer but couldn't find them in their Q&A?
You don't have to ferment under pressure in a pressure fermenter, but they do give you that option.
If you don't want to ferment under pressure, just fit a blow off tube to the gas post. Then when you want to transfer, just add pressure.

I have two All Rounders but I still use my first 30L Speidel Plastic Fermenter. I had to buy a new o-ring for it as the Speidel one wore out and that's when I discovered that the lid of an All Rounder fits it like a glove! So it's back in rotation :)

IMG_5424.png

I’ve got an SS brew tech Brewbucket BME which I use most of the time.

I needed a new fermentor with a tap in 2020. It was the height of lockdown, I was saving hundreds on fuel, and had nothing to spend my money on so I thought I’d splash out and treat myself.

It’s pure indulgence: it looks nice, it doesn’t do anything that the plastic bucket can’t. In fact I still use my plastics bucket occasionally.

With I hindsight I would have bought the chronical as that allows trub dumping and pressure transfers etc. But I don’t do pressure transfers and rarely Harvest yeast so even a chronical is irrelevant for me.

The best fermentation kit I bought was the ink bird and heater. Put them in an old fridge I had in the garage and now I have perfect temp control every brew for ~£40

Back