Fermzilla All rounder - Dry Hop valve review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zorro

Reaction score
Im currently brewing a Verdant Even Sharks Clone and it asks for an oxygen free dry hop after fermentation.

I know people use magnets, however that's a no go for me, when I'm wrestling my fermzilla into a small fridge.

It's the first time I have used the valve, I had to use 2 tee peices to allow me to use the spunding valve too.

I used a post from another forum, to add a bike valve to the litre bottle. Drill a 10mm hole, to allow a pass through to purge the bottle. (See below link).

It wouldnt hold pressure completly, with just the valve, however for adding the hops it only had a small leak.

Although you could fill and unscrew the bottle slightly a few times to release the pressure instead.

To fill the hops into a bottle I used a funnel, I had to bang the bottle on the work top to get them to fall in.

I tipped my fermzilla in the holder, to make it easier to add the bottle and it was easy.

Purged, evened up the pressures, straighten up and released the valve and nothing happened 😂.

To get the hops to drop in the end, I had to hit the bottle with the back of my bread knife near the neck and eventually they all fell inside (see below). Also it seems to work better at a lower pressure, although I'm not sure if the pressure release helped get things moving too.

So all good in the end after a minor panic, so overall I'm pleased. However I thought I would share the tips for any others to have an easier journey.

Equipment list

Pco 1881 X 1881 dry hop valve £15 Ali express
2 carbonation cap tee peices from Ali express £6 quid
Extra carb cap £4 Ali express
Funnel Addis 14cm £1.79 Amazon
Valve removal tool/key £2 Amazon/eBay
10mm drill bit
Tr414 tyre valve £2 ebay

Attachments

• IMG_20211221_164321.jpg
    IMG_20211221_164321.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20211221_164943.jpg
    IMG_20211221_164943.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
I just take the top off and throw them in. There isn't going to be a mass exodus of co2.

I usually do near the end of fermentation, you could drop and purge.

It was the after fermentation that made me panic

I brewed this kit recently and close transferred into a keg containing a hop tube with the hops. Dry hopped for 3 days contact time as per the recipe then transferred into another keg for serving so only tied up the 'dry hopping keg' for a few days. So absolutely zero exposure to air and oxygen through the whole process. Was in my keggaratior for 3 months before I finished it off and it was super fragrant and unaffected by O2 exposure from the first glass to the last. Really good kit and a delicious beer. First time I feel I nailed a NEIPA.

I brewed this kit recently and close transferred into a keg containing a hop tube with the hops. Dry hopped for 3 days contact time as per the recipe then transferred into another keg for serving so only tied up the 'dry hopping keg' for a few days. So absolutely zero exposure to air and oxygen through the whole process. Was in my keggaratior for 3 months before I finished it off and it was super fragrant and unaffected by O2 exposure from the first glass to the last. Really good kit and a delicious beer. First time I feel I nailed a NEIPA.

That's good to hear, i'm looking forward to trying it, 3 days is up tomorrow and it will be transferred

I just take the top off and throw them in. There isn't going to be a mass exodus of co2.
Exactly the same as i do Foxy, there is normally some krausen protecting the beer from o2, then just purge a few times as the co2 builds!

Im currently brewing a Verdant Even Sharks Clone and it asks for an oxygen free dry hop after fermentation.

I know people use magnets, however that's a no go for me, when I'm wrestling my fermzilla into a small fridge.

It's the first time I have used the valve, I had to use 2 tee peices to allow me to use the spunding valve too.

I used a post from another forum, to add a bike valve to the litre bottle. Drill a 10mm hole, to allow a pass through to purge the bottle. (See below link).

It wouldnt hold pressure completly, with just the valve, however for adding the hops it only had a small leak.

Although you could fill and unscrew the bottle slightly a few times to release the pressure instead.

To fill the hops into a bottle I used a funnel, I had to bang the bottle on the work top to get them to fall in.

I tipped my fermzilla in the holder, to make it easier to add the bottle and it was easy.

Purged, evened up the pressures, straighten up and released the valve and nothing happened 😂.

To get the hops to drop in the end, I had to hit the bottle with the back of my bread knife near the neck and eventually they all fell inside (see below). Also it seems to work better at a lower pressure, although I'm not sure if the pressure release helped get things moving too.

So all good in the end after a minor panic, so overall I'm pleased. However I thought I would share the tips for any others to have an easier journey.

Equipment list

Pco 1881 X 1881 dry hop valve £15 Ali express
2 carbonation cap tee peices from Ali express £6 quid
Extra carb cap £4 Ali express
Funnel Addis 14cm £1.79 Amazon
Valve removal tool/key £2 Amazon/eBay
10mm drill bit
Tr414 tyre valve £2 ebay

I just take the top off for single dry hop recipes but for multiple dry hopping, I use the same PCO dry hop valve as yourself and it works great, especially with 2 tee pieces to make purging easier. I also use the valve for adding finings at the end of fermentation when needed….

Back